We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to view N. Lights, World Ice Carving Competition, etc.

Hawaii
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip to view N. Lights, World Ice Carving Competition, etc.

Any updated 2012 suggestions on 3 star hotels, lodges or B&B especially when viewing the Alaskan Northern Lights in March? I noticed that Chena Hot Springs Resort didn't get a lot of star ratings on this site.....Thinking of flying into Anchorage for an over night stay and taking a train up to Fairbanks the next morning. Thanks!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to view N. Lights, World Ice Carving Competition, etc.

Welcome to TA's forums.

Train only goes N/S on the weekend (to Fairbanks on Saturday/from Fairbans on Sunday). alaskarailroad.com/Schedules/…Default.aspx Hopefully that will work for your schedule.

As for lodging, if you're doing mostly things in Fairbanks, Chena Hot Springs Resort is probably the worst place to consider staying for more than maybe the night you want to do the aurora coach viewing tour with them.

I don't know that there are any "updated" suggestions, so a search of the AK/Fairbanks Forum should help you.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,302 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to view N. Lights, World Ice Carving Competition, etc.

What is your nightly budget? Will you rent a car when you get to Fairbanks? :)

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to view N. Lights, World Ice Carving Competition, etc.

Also, any idea of when you want to come up? I agree with Von's opinion of only doing one night at Chena. The price just doesn't follow with the value you get. I suggest you look at the Moose something-or-other rooms rather than the very run down Signature Rooms there. They do have plenty of activities and the price list for those are on their web site. My friend and I spent two days out there and one night. We probably could have fit all our activities into one day and possibly the morning of the next (after the snow coach tour that night).

You may want to look at prices of airline tickets and availability of lodging to help you decide when to come up if your schedule is flexible. My guess is that there are already many things booked up for around the ice carving championship and Iditarod time frame this Winter (early March).

Hawaii
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to view N. Lights, World Ice Carving Competition, etc.

Am new to TA and need to read more in the forum. Thanks for the tips re: train and confirming reviews re: Cheno Hot Springs Resort.

Welcome to TA's forums.

Train only goes N/S on the weekend (to Fairbanks on Saturday/from Fairbans on Sunday). alaskarailroad.com/Schedules/…Default.aspx Hopefully that will work for your schedule.

As for lodging, if you're doing mostly things in Fairbanks, Chena Hot Springs Resort is probably the worst place to consider staying for more than maybe the night you want to do the aurora coach viewing tour with them.

I don't know that there are any "updated" suggestions, so a search of the AK/Fairbanks Forum should help you.

Hawaii
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to view N. Lights, World Ice Carving Competition, etc.

Trying to plan for late Feb to mid March 2013. Nightly budget: Around $ 80 - 150/night. Looking to rent a van. We may be a group of 4 people. Thank you!

What is your nightly budget? Will you rent a car when you get to Fairbanks? :)

Hawaii
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to view N. Lights, World Ice Carving Competition, etc.

Thanks for confirming Moose. Read something about this place in one of the other forums. Also about Chena. Will also be asking AAA for suggestions.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to view N. Lights, World Ice Carving Competition, etc.

Yeah, $80-150 isn't going to get you Chena unless you are referring to $80-150 each? The bad rooms at Chena are $200/night. The Aurora Lodge is right around $200/night as well, but they are sold out from now through April 1st anyway.

You may want to price out some lodging and what a SUV or van is going to cost you. I'm not sure traveling up there around those times is going work for your budget. Springhill Suites is going for $110/night at the end of February for a room with two doubles or a king. But you'd be in town so you'd have to drive out about 20 minutes or so to see the Lights decent if they aren't super active. Just FYI.

8. Re: Trip to view N. Lights, World Ice Carving Competition, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2013, 00:38
Get answers to your questions about Fairbanks
Recent Conversations