We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day to see . . Fredericksburg, Chancelorsville, etc?

Joisey - the...
Level Contributor
108 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
One day to see . . Fredericksburg, Chancelorsville, etc?

I realize that one could spend weeks visiting the city, hq's, fords and battlefield of Fredericksburg, not too mention the fields and forests of the battles of C, W and S. But I have one day . . . traveling from Richmond VA early am and visiting friends in suburban VA/DC that evening.

I have done some homework at CivilWar.org and know the general time-line and where the 4 battles fit within the various campaigns. But so much to see and learn. Mostly I am fascinated by tactical decisions and events that ended up affecting history. Fredericksburg self-inflicted massacre, Lee's brilliance at Cville, the realization by Lee and AofNV that they were "in it" with Grant

Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
19,225 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day to see . . Fredericksburg, Chancelorsville, etc?

Greetings Marriott_Devotee,

My question is what day of the week are you planning your visit to Chancellorsville?

Kesh_grammy

Joisey - the...
Level Contributor
108 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day to see . . Fredericksburg, Chancelorsville, etc?

Friday. So, yes, I suppose there will be "a bit" of DC-Richmond traffic, especially during the pm on I-95.

But my predominant travel direction will be North, and alternate routes don't scare me (Google maps).

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
834 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day to see . . Fredericksburg, Chancelorsville, etc?

Hello. At this time of year there are creepy crawlies in the tall grass, so I would suggest the Fredericksburg battlefield, which contains the least. Start with the visitors center and see the short film, then take in the sunken road and Marye's heights, visit Lees Hill, and finish with the extreme right of the Confederate line, Jackson's position. This should leave you with enough time to do the very nice downtown walking tour with many colonial buildings, and/or a visit to Chatham, a colonial mansion just across the river with nice views of the 'Burg. It was used as a Union HQ, and was visited by Lincoln. Don't wait too long before heading north, because even going in that direction, especially on a summer Friday, can be a nightmare. Hope this helps, and do enjoy your visit.

Mentioned in this post
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,225 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day to see . . Fredericksburg, Chancelorsville, etc?

Marriott_Devotee,

I drive Route 3 Wilderness to Fredricksburg quite frequently, traffic can be very heavy weekdays & Saturdays, (2 lane road), in regards to Chancellorsville, be aware chiggers & ticks in the grass, as well as mosquitoes.....

Kesh_grammy

Joisey - the...
Level Contributor
108 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day to see . . Fredericksburg, Chancelorsville, etc?

Thanks! Long pants - check.

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
834 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day to see . . Fredericksburg, Chancelorsville, etc?

Hello again. Um, kesh, Route 3 is a 4 lane highway, 2 lanes in each direction. Is that what you meant?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,225 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day to see . . Fredericksburg, Chancelorsville, etc?

@Nursedude,

Yes, 2 lanes each direction, (with green space just outside City limits) from 95 / 3 with many traffic lights on rt. 3 (about 9 miles worth), careful driving quite a bit of L.E. on route 3 (thank goodness!)

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 19 July 2016, 16:51
8. Re: One day to see . . Fredericksburg, Chancelorsville, etc?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2017, 06:48
Get answers to your questions about Fredericksburg