We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit

New Orleans, La.
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First visit

I am planning to visit Fredericksburg and Charlottesville. I was planning on staying in each town two nights. I plan to visit Kenmore, Rising Sun Tavern, Mary Bell Washington home and Stratford Hall Planation although I can see Stratford Hall on the way back to Williamsburg. Of course in Charlottesville it is to see the UOV and the presidents homes My question is two days in each town enough or should I adjust a day in either direction. I have been to Williamsburg and Richmond several times so trying to see some of the other areas of historical towns. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit

I would say 2 per is good.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit

With staying two nights in each place, you'll really have a full day in each location. I assume you're driving, and it's about 1.5 hours from Fredericksburg to Charlottesville without rushing, so you will have some time on your travel day as well.

From your "to do" list, it looks like you're more into the colonial history rather than Civil War history, but be aware that there is plenty of Civil War (and Revolutionary War) history to be found in and around Fredericksburg.

If you're into antiquing at all, downtown Fredericksburg is a nice stroll, and the Hugh Mercer apothecary shop isn't far from the Rising Sun.

When you say the presidents' houses, are you including James Madison's Montpelier? It's between Fredericksburg and Charlottesville.

Fredericksburg is much more of a "town" and Charlottesville more of a "city", so it party depends on which you like better. The drive between, depending on your route, can be quite scenic as well. So personally, I think 2 nights in both places is at least an introduction to both.

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
826 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit

Hello again. As previously mentioned, you could visit the James Madison home of Montpelier on your drive from Fred'burg to Charlottesville. It has been completely restored and is very nice, with some great views of the beautiful Virginia countryside. It's on Route 20. Stratford Hall is gorgeous, again with great views, and is where Robert E.Lee was born. On the way to it from Fred'burg you will pass Popes Creek where George Washington was born. If you have an extra hour do try to stop in for a peek. Virginia is a great place to live because we have so much to see and do. Someday you will have to visit the Shenandoah Valley, which is also beautiful and full of history. By the way, did you ever have that bowl of beans and rice for me? Hope this helps, and enjoy.

New Orleans, La.
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit

Thanks so much for all the replys. Greatly appreciated. Yes nursedude I eat red beans and rice every Monday as it is a tradition in NOLA. As you might remember I was heading in that direction last summer when I got cancelled out by a hurricane not here but there. Thank goodness it turned out alright for ya'll. I am glad for the info on Montpelier as I know it was a work in progress so I will put that on my list. Can you tell me how long it takes to drive from Richmond to Charlottesville? Also if you have any thoughts on drives in that area I will be happy to take your advise. I am all about history no matter if it is1700's or civil war.

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
826 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit

Hello again. Richmond to Charlottesville is less than 90 minutes. As for drives, Route 20 from Fred'burg to Charlottesville is nice, and goes right by the Wilderness Battlefield National Park (which is just a few miles away from the Chancellorsville Battlefield National Park) and also the site of the Mine Run campaign. Route 29 is also a beautiful ride, which goes from Culpeper to Charlottesville. About 15-20 minutes north of Culpeper is Brandy Station battlefield, scene of the largest cavalry battle in the civil war. Or you could take Route 3 from Fred'burg to Culpeper and head south on Route 15, which drives right through the Cedar Mountain battlefield. Route 15 will take you to Orange, va., and from there you can hook up with Route 20 to see Montpelier on the way to Charlottesville. Almost anywhere in Virginia you will find history, and Fred'burg has alot of colonial and civil war history right in town. As long as it doesn't rain, you're going to have a great time. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit

As nursedude has pointed out, there are many drives between Charlottesville and Fredericksburg. Personally, I love the Route 20 version, as I like the more "backroads" feel over 29 or 15. But honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them.

And of course, there's plenty of Civil War history right in F'burg itself - Sunken Road, for example, with a very nice visitor's center and the National Cemetery. The Confederate Cemetery is a little ways away from there. There's also the James Monroe museum in downtown F'burg (forgot about that one yesterday). Then there's Chatham, which was used as a Union hospital, right across the river in Stafford county. And Ferry Farm, George Washington's boyhood home, also in Stafford. So you could easily spend all of your time in F'burg and just skip C'ville! ;-)

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit

It's slightly out of your way - but the new US Marine Corps Museum http://www.usmcmuseum.com is just north of Fredericksburg, directly beside I-95 in Quantico VA. It's free of charge and very realistic and interactive

Edited: 29 February 2012, 05:24
New Orleans, La.
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit

All of your information is excellent. Thanks so much. I had planned to go to Charlottesville and spend the first two nights but most of the good hotel and B&B's are not available that weekend. Is it because school is out and all of Washingston and Maryland are taking a vacation ? Anyway after hearing your advise what I may do is stay in or around Richmond the first night, get up early and drive to Monticello, see it then have lunch somewhere (any suggestions?) then go see one more home either Montpelier or Ash Lawn-Highland. Which one should I choose. I will be with a friend who is not that crazy about going through old homes. I can push two in one day but not three. After see the second house head for Fredericksburg and spend two nights. I was looking at some places to stay in Orange but the rates are about double of Fredericksburg or Charlottesville. Once again thanks for any advise.I learned long ago, listen to the locals if you want the real deal not the tour books. The drives that ya'll gave me sound wonderful and that time of year it should be beautiful.

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
826 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit

Hello again. Doing Monticello and then Montpelier would be my choice, and they both begin with Mont. I like your new plan alot, good for you. Remember me on your next Muffelatta. Yum, Yum.

New Orleans, La.
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit

I'm having gumbo and a shrimp poorboy tonight. Sooo good! thank for your input. I will follow your advice. When the trip gets closer will ask other questions for sure. I am suprised at how expenses the hotels are in Charlottesville to the surrounding towns. I guess it is because of the University.

Get answers to your questions about Fredericksburg