We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help ranking these "Things to Do"

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
137 posts
56 reviews
Help ranking these "Things to Do"

We're excited for our upcoming trip to the South at the end of March! I'm putting together a list of ideas of things to do in Savannah during our 4 days there and would love to get input on how you'd rank these. We'll likely do 2-3 of these outdoor activities. We have 3 kids- 6, 13, 15.

- Wormsloe Historic Site

- Oatland Island wildlife Center

- Fort Pulaski National Monument

- Fort McAllister Historic Park

- Old Fort Jackson

- Skidaway Island State Park

- Savannah Ogeechee Canal (hours look limited, so may not work for us...)

Thanks to everyone for all your help!

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
1. Re: Help ranking these "Things to Do"

since you have children that age, I think that you should pick those things that would appeal to them the most with the less travel time.

Fort Pulaski would be the first, The Oakland Island wildlife center is on the way and you could easily stop by. Old Fort Jackson is also on the way. You might squeeze all three of these in one day. If you don't want to do that, leave out Fort Jackson. Fort Pulaski is a treat. The view from the top of the fortifications is great!

Fort McAllister is out of the way and you would have a lot more travel time with it. Skidaway Island State Park is also a little out of the way of the others.

Fort Pulaski is close to Tybee Island if you want to see the ocean. The children might like to walk out on the pier or to go up into the lighthouse.

Belleville, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
115 reviews
2. Re: Help ranking these "Things to Do"

Wormsloe is a place our kids enjoyed. The drive in is beautiful and you may see a deer or two. There is a video about the history of it, then you can go on your own. It's a lovely walk to the ruins of the home. You can also walk along the marshes. If you go there, you should also stop at Sandfly BBQ. It's very near there and the food is great. All the forts are interesting. I haven't been to the other places.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: Help ranking these "Things to Do"

Day

Skidaway Island State Park short walking path

Skidaway Island Oceanographic Institute w aquirium also a walking path

Wormsloe Historic Site

Old Fort Jackson

Oatland Island wildlife Center

Fort Pulaski National Monument

Tybee Island beach

Leave out Fort McAllister Historic Park & Savannah Ogeechee Canal

-

georgia
Level Contributor
86 posts
351 reviews
4. Re: Help ranking these "Things to Do"

Fort Pulaski is one of the best forts in the National Park Historic sites to visit. From there you can drive to Tybee Island and visit the lighthouse. Wormsloe is another interesting site. The walk to the ruins is scenic with the Spanish moss in the trees. Fort McAllister is a Civil War era fort which is quite different from Fort Pulaski. It is a bit out of the way but if you are interested in history you will learn more by visiting it.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
137 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Help ranking these "Things to Do"

Thanks so much for all the help!

I think Fort Pulaski will be a top priority, given that the 6-yr old is really into the Jr. Ranger program and can earn a badge there. Good to know that Oatland is on the way there. We will be keeping the options open based on what the family feels like doing at the end of the trip.

Now, we just need some great weather!

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
6. Re: Help ranking these "Things to Do"

Ft. Pulaski will be fun. You might want to stop at the Crab Shack and let the kids see the alligators. You don't have to eat there to see them. I would try to go to Wormsloe and definitely grab a bite to eat at Sandfly BBQ if you like BBQ.

Level Contributor
52 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Help ranking these "Things to Do"

I would skip oatland i was there 2 weeks ago lots of exibits are closed for rennovations and what not. The bears are still hibernating as well. I would definatly go to tybee lighthouse and fort pulaski. Also i went to bonaventure cemetary. If you like architecure you will love it. And the crab shack mentioned before is great but in the early evening watch you plate the raccoons try to steal everything

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
8. Re: Help ranking these "Things to Do"

Fort McAllister in Richmond Hill is quite lovely with its views of the marsh. You can rent canoes there year-round. The canoes are 35 dollars for the day--you would need two for the five of you. If you want to see just one fort, do choose Ft. Pulaski. It's what everyone thinks of when one thinks of a "fort." But Fort McAllister is one of the best preserved Confederate earthwork fortifications, so if that sounds interesting, you can make a nice day of it.

You will pass a restaurant called Fish Tales on the way out there. We went once and that was it. Maybe it was a bad day but all of our meals were truly awful. I might stop off for a soft drink for the adults, fries for the kids and the view.

If you want some lunch in Richmond Hill, check out the Smokin' Pig. It is delicious barbecue. It's in the same building as a gas station--don't let that deter you!

http://www.smokinpigbbqjoint.com/

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35220-d86…

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
137 posts
56 reviews
9. Re: Help ranking these "Things to Do"

Just wanted to update this following the return from our trip. Thanks to everyone for all the great recommendations! The weather wasn't exactly cooperating- it was cooler than expected and we had to wear all our heavy clothes nearly every day, but at least the sun was shining!

The first day we went to the Aquarium at Skidaway, walked the nature trail and ate at the SandFly BBQ. (thanks to SavannahBruce for these tips!) After a late lunch, we went to Bonaventure Cemetary. Late afternoon, we did a history/ ghost combo walking tour.

The next day, we did Fort Pulaski, ate at the Crab Shack (finally saw alligators- yeah!) and walked Tybee beach. The last day we just did a number of walks around Savannah.

All in all, we loved Savannah- the layout of the city with it's squares really makes it enjoyable to walk.

10. Re: Help ranking these "Things to Do"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 09:45