We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uber/Lyft vs Rental car cost

Vincennes, Indiana
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Uber/Lyft vs Rental car cost

Flying to Savannah would it be cheaper to uber/lyft to and from airport or rent a car? Also going to Tybee for a day, would need info for this also. Thanks for any info

14 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,787 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Uber/Lyft vs Rental car cost

Put it in your uber or lyft app to see what the costs are.

The answer is = it depends.

More expensive if you plan to valet park.

More expensive if you keep the car for several days.

Could be less expensive if you park in a city garage.

Depends on how many days you rent a car.

Depends on how much your rental is per day.

I just turned in a rental car I got for $22 a day - weekend rates.

I just picked up a rental car with higher rates for the week.

In other words, impossible to answer your question without knowing 1) how many days you plan to have a car 2) how much you are paying each day for the car 2) where you plan to park and 4) how much convenience matters to you.

Enter your to/from locations in your uber/lyft app. See what comes up. Compare to rental car rates and parking rates you plan to use.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 00:56
Vincennes, Indiana
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Uber/Lyft vs Rental car cost

onemoreroad thanks for the information. I have not used Uber/Lyft before. The price is half of the rental and that's not adding in the parking.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,787 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: Uber/Lyft vs Rental car cost

Uber/Lyft prices vary based on demand.

I use them all (Uber/Lyft vs rental car) weekly and there's no "right" answer. It just depends on your variables.

In Savannah, I get a rental car and use garage parking. Convenience trumps everything for me.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 02:36
Port Huron, Michigan
Level Contributor
182 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Uber/Lyft vs Rental car cost

Thank you OMR for two posts that succinctly analyze the ground transportation issues. We assumed that if we could get around Paris for thirteen days without a car we could get around Savannah for eight also without a car.....no,no let’s not make such a silly assumption until we have applied to our Savannah trip an abundance of thought and accurate information.

Safe Travels...T

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
93 reviews
5. Re: Uber/Lyft vs Rental car cost

In Savannah Uber/Lyft prices are pretty much the same unless a festival or something like that is happening while you are here. Airport to your hotel is around $17.00 to $20.00. The local bus is $5.00 one way but is not that convenient.

catchacat.org/_meta/…route_100x.pdf

Taxi around $28.00

Parking prices have gone up recently but still good rates compared to larger cities. You can get a two day parking pass for $24.00 at the Visitor Center or at 100 East Bryan Street, Monday - Friday, 8am to 5pm .

https:/…Visitor-Parking-Passes

Savannah's historic district is basically a square mile and flat. Easily walkable with beautiful squares and parks. Rent a car for a day ( Enterprise will pick you up at your hotel ) to go to Tybee for the beach, Tybee Pier, lunch at maybe at StingRays on 14th St. for local shrimp. Steamed or fried they are great.

http://stingraysontybee.com/our-menu/

On the way back Fort Pulaski is a great stop. Thay do have a nice picnic area but it is best visited in late fall or winter to avoid the bugs. It is an oak filled coastal forest draped with Spanish Moss. Very picturesque.

Just before returning to Savannah a stop at Oatland Island Wild Life Center. It's temporarily closed do to a small tornado.

Have a great time.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,787 posts
95 reviews
6. Re: Uber/Lyft vs Rental car cost

"( Enterprise will pick you up at your hotel ) "

Someone posted in the last few days that that is not the case. Enterprise refused to pick them up in the HD.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
93 reviews
7. Re: Uber/Lyft vs Rental car cost

I posted it also several years ago on TA or there sister site Virtual Tourist (gone now) long ago as well as the one a few days ago. Enterprise was started with the idea that " they would pick you up" as a sales pitch . Since I have relatives visiting from the EU I thought I would verify a few things. #1 will you pick up people in the HD. The response was yes. The jist of the conversation was they ( each rental store ) are required to pick you up within 5 miles and up to 10 but that up to the individual store. They verified pick up from there 500 Montgomery St, Savannah, GA 31401

I also learned that the International License must be in English for Enterprise to rent you a vehicle.

Did not see the supposed post about Enterprise not picking them up. Please post which one it was.. They must have called the one on Abercorn Extension which is 71/2 miles away.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,787 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Uber/Lyft vs Rental car cost

Read the other thread on the topic.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
93 reviews
9. Re: Uber/Lyft vs Rental car cost

Have no idea what your babbling about. Put up on the address for what you said about someone not getting service from Enterprise Car Rental.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,787 posts
95 reviews
10. Re: Uber/Lyft vs Rental car cost

"babbling"?

LOL

Typical.

Reply to: Uber/Lyft vs Rental car cost
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted