We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Savannah with 2 kids

Columbia, Maryland
4 posts
2 days in Savannah with 2 kids

Hi, we are coming to visit Savannah as a last minute trip. I found great airfare, the kids have wanted to try flying, and I've heard great things about Savannah so Savannah here we come! I was wondering if there were any hotels you would recommend for kids, should we rent a car for our stay, and most importantly what do you consider to be the must sees/do in Savannah with two kids and only 2 days? Thank you so much!!

10 replies to this topic
Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,207 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: 2 days in Savannah with 2 kids

When are you coming? How old are the kids? Savannah is great, very walkable but if you are coming soon you need to be ready for the heat. However most of the Historic District is shady in spots. It would be good to know how old your kids are for suggestions. If you are staying just in the HD (for two days I wouldn't begin to bother about other spots) then NO, no car is needed, it would be pretty useless. Its a very walkable, small city. Kids of any age should enjoy River Street, maybe the City Market, probably Forsyth Park. We always stay at the Holiday Inn Express and I frequently see kids there and they seem pretty happy.

Columbia, Maryland
4 posts
2. Re: 2 days in Savannah with 2 kids

Hi,

My kids are 9 and 11. We are coming this Sunday 8/12 in the afternoon and leaving Tuesday afternoon.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 20:38
Atlanta
Level Contributor
97 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: 2 days in Savannah with 2 kids

Don't know your kids' interests, but at that age mine enjoyed Tybee Island.. The beach/ocean, Ft Pulaski, the tall lighthouse, and pier. And the Crab Shack for dinner.. Unique atmosphere.. Good pics on Trip Advisor. Agree that some time on River Street is of interest, and limited tours of historical sights.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: 2 days in Savannah with 2 kids

Thank you Karrieb.

ATL
Level Contributor
287 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: 2 days in Savannah with 2 kids

If your kid(s) are girl scouts, the Juliette Low House might be interesting to them. City Market has a fountain that kids can play in, so be sure to dress them to do so -- if will help with the heat. If you are going to do the things like the beach, Ft. Pulaski etc you will need a car.

Where are staying?

Columbia, Maryland
4 posts
6. Re: 2 days in Savannah with 2 kids

We haven't decided where we are staying yet. Nothing like waiting until the last minute!

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
93 reviews
7. Re: 2 days in Savannah with 2 kids

The Pirate House restaurant is the oldest occupied building in Savannah. It not only has good food but they have a pirate/ghost tour. As said, a very walkable city. The Children's Museum. Rail Road museum next to the Visitor Center. and taking a ride on the free ferry are often fun for children. Have a picnic at Forsyth Park where they have a play ground and our famous fountain. Just before you get to the park on Bull St. you will see the ongoing and latest renovation of one of Savannahs historic houses, the Armstrong House. Black iron fencing with gold accents. Very nice. Interior has carved wood and cameos in plater.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,207 posts
52 reviews
8. Re: 2 days in Savannah with 2 kids

Agree totally with SavannahBruce, The free ferry should be a big hit. Go down to River Street and you should have no problem seeing it. It goes from River Street over to the Westin Hotel Conf. Center on an island you can easily see. Runs often, takes about 15 min to go across and you can just stay there and go back. Great views of the historic buildings on River St.

Columbia, Maryland
4 posts
9. Re: 2 days in Savannah with 2 kids

Thank you everyone! Very helpful! Looking forward to seeing more recs!

Odenton, Maryland
1 post
10. Re: 2 days in Savannah with 2 kids

I have an 8 year old son and we did the Jepson Center today and he loved it. It is super hot so it was a nice break from the heat. Very hands on activities and they even have a free studio area to make something free of charge. There is an interactive technology in art area that was cool as well as in area I could best describe like the MD Science Center but art oriented. Have fun!!

Reply to: 2 days in Savannah with 2 kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted