We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for a first night stay?

Johnstone, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
25 reviews
Recommendations for a first night stay?

We are flying into Charlotte around 2pm, and then driving down to Savannah where we are staying for 2 nights at either the Fairfield Inn & Suites or Springhill Suites.

I’m looking for some suggestions for that first night - not looking to ‘go wild’ after a transatlantic flight & a couple of hours drive .. just a meal & some drinks is my first thought, but happy to hear some other ideas if possible.

Our next day will be probably be the HOHO Trolley, Riverboat Cruise, Prohibition Museum (maybe Railroad Museum if we can fit it in), and then again ‘something’ at night.

We leave the next morning for Charleston then Myrtle Beach.

Thanks in advance as always!

4 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,787 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Recommendations for a first night stay?

Stay at the Staybridge Suites. The better of those two choices.

Lots of options for food/drink. If you want a nice dinner, the Pink House is my favorite in Savannah. Even if you don't eat there, go to the Planters Tavern in the historic basement for drinks and maybe some of the fabulous appetizers or dessert.

Savannah isn't much of a "wild" town, except maybe on St. Patrick's Day. She's more of a genteel southern lady than a wild party town. Those who want more of a party experience go to River Street and/or City Market. I rarely go to either. But it's hard to walk a block in Savannah and not find a good place to eat or drink. It's a foodie town and GREAT places to eat all throughout the HD. Check out the TA list of top ones and pick from them. Most are on the eastern side of the HD and not far from the Staybridge Suites.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 22:16
Johnstone, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Recommendations for a first night stay?

Thanks for the tips ... we are in our late 40’s so no intentions of partying all night, lol.

I’ve seen the Pink House recommended a number of times, so will definitely take a look maybe for our 2nd night.

Intention is probably just to wander towards the river & ‘see what happens’ but just wondered if there was something locally to hotel that we shouldn’t miss out on.

However I plan to research a couple of restaurants since we are are only there for 2 nights (widhbit was longer but we hadn’t actually planned on visiting at all, but changed our plans so that we could at least do a whistle stop tour rather than missing it completely.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Recommendations for a first night stay?

Hi! We are getting ready to leave tomorrow for Savannah and wondered what your hotel choice was?? Thanks!

Johnstone, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Recommendations for a first night stay?

We stayed at the Springhill Suites & thoroughly enjoyed it ... we had a huge room, and the price was right. It’s in a good location with the parking garage just 60 seconds away.

The WiFi is free as is the breakfast, and if you’re okay with it being disposable plates & cutlery then it sets you up nicely for the day.

The pool & hot tub was a bonus too.

I would definitely look to use this chain of hotels again (we stayed at a Country Inns & Suites later in our trip & it was a definite step down in overall quality for not much price difference).

We arrived about 7pm so we just went to the Crystal Beer Parlor - had some some great food & drinks, and warm service.

On our second night we had a lovely meal at Alligator Soul & would definitely recommend it.

Reply to: Recommendations for a first night stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted