We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express vs. Homewood Suites -HD

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
171 posts
Hampton Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express vs. Homewood Suites -HD

I was trying to decide between the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express in the historic district for a 4- night stay in November, but then noted several recommendations here for the Homewood Suites and threw that into the mix as well! The Homewood Suites is more expensive than the other two – probably close to $100 a night more for the type of room I was looking at.

My primary requirement is that the hotel be situated in a safe location within walking distance of restaurants and attractions and a trolley stop.They all advertise “River View” rooms, which sound very nice. They all have included breakfasts and I think they all have rooftop pools, but November may not be pool weather. Not sure yet if I am renting a car, but they all seem to be in the same price range ($30) for parking.

I’ve read the reviews. Anything further any one can point out to help me decide? Thanks.

Best Seller
Savannah Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
222 Reviews
from US$ 33.00*
Savannah Culinary and Cultural...
380 Reviews
from US$ 53.95*
Best Seller
Savannah Riverboat Cruises
1,095 Reviews
from US$ 27.50*
9 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,013 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Hampton Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express vs. Homewood Suites -HD

"My primary requirement is that the hotel be situated in a safe location within walking distance of restaurants and attractions and a trolley stop."

All of the above.

Which Hampton Inn? If it's the one at the corner of Bay and Abercorn, that's the better location of the two in the HD. I like all three that you've listed. I've stayed in all three that you've listed. I would be happy with all three that you have listed.

My top choice would be the Homewood Suites. It's just fabulous. Newest of all. ON the river. Many of the rooms have river views. The ones with little balconies are very nice. But the BEST thing about the Homewood Suites is the rooftop. It is FABULOUS! Gorgeous pool area. Gorgeous fire pit, which would be nice in November. A little bar to order drinks. PRIVATE because only those staying at the hotel have access. Lots of places to sit = bar, chaises, chairs, etc. Great place to watch boats on the river. It's worlds away from the other options in Savannah. On a scale of 1 to 10, the rooftop of the Homewood is a 10 and the others are all less than 5. The pool at the Hampton is small, nothing special and pretty much uses all of the roof space. I don't remember the pool at the HIX but it would be along the line of the Hampton Inn's. If you want a place to get in the water, both would work - although not in November. The rooftop deck of the Homewood in an entertainment paradise.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 01:59
Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
93 reviews
2. Re: Hampton Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express vs. Homewood Suites -HD

I would recommend the Hampton Inn ( Abercorn St location ) or the HIX for location as the Homewood Suites is just outside the Eastern end of the HD. 2/3 of a mile to lets say the City Market or a little more then that for the Visitor Center. It will be nice weather in Nov. but I doubt that the pool at any place is a good idea for fun. .Hampton Inn and HIX are right in the middle of the HD Great mix of restaurants, clubs and historic sites all within a few blocks.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,013 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: Hampton Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express vs. Homewood Suites -HD

Stop at the Visitors Center as you drive in as you wish. I've gone once in about 10 years. I avoid City Market most of the time. If you like crowds, go. Otherwise, skip it or stop by one day when you are out and about. I do like the Byrd's cookie store there -

http://www.byrdcookiecompany.com/visit

There are wonderful restaurants, shops, bars, etc. all through the historic district and there are many in a few blocks of all three hotels. The top rated hotels, restaurants and sights (including museums) are on the eastern side of the HD. Check out the TA lists to see the options. And if you want to stroll River Street, it's right there if you stay at the Homewood! It's a bit trickier to get there from the HI and/or HIX. There are ramps (cobblestone lanes for cars) and/or metal steps (tricky). I prefer going to the public elevator on the side of the Hyatt, but that means a walk of a few blocks from those two hotels. If you stay at the Homewood, River Street is outside your door.

And in November, the rooftop area at the Homewood is gorgeous, whether or not you swim in the pool. I assume it's heated but not sure.

Check out some of the photos -

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60814-d7216821-Reviews-or25-Homewood_Suites_by_Hilton_Savannah_Historic_District_Riverfront-Savannah_Georgia.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=2&ff=297108124

The rooftop space is simply amazing and a great place to sit in the afternoon/evenings and watch the river traffic go by.

It may be hard to imagine if you've not been there - but the photos help. Only registered guests are allowed up there so keep that in mind. That's a HUGE plus IMO.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,650 posts
502 reviews
4. Re: Hampton Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express vs. Homewood Suites -HD

Like Homewood or Hampton best.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,530 posts
153 reviews
5. Re: Hampton Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express vs. Homewood Suites -HD

Either Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn, both at the corners of Bay and Abercorn. Great hotels, great location.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: Hampton Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express vs. Homewood Suites -HD

My only suggestion is to check to see if they are pet friendly which may be a problem for you if you have pet allergies. That's why we like the Holiday Inn Express, no worries about pet dander from previous visitors or in the halls.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,013 posts
95 reviews
7. Re: Hampton Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express vs. Homewood Suites -HD

Every hotel is required by federal law to allow service animals. So every hotel in the country may have dogs there.

The vast majority of hotels that are "pet friendly" only allow them on certain floors and in certain rooms and do not allow them in public areas. The chances are slim to none that you will be assigned a room that a pet has been in - unless you are traveling with a pet.

But any hotel you choose will accommodate service animals.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 01:00
Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
171 posts
8. Re: Hampton Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express vs. Homewood Suites -HD

Thanks for the feedback. Leaning toward the Hampton because of the price difference and the fact that most of you have confirmed it is a decent option. But, Homewood Suites does sound lovely! Decisions...

Alabama
Level Contributor
260 posts
40 reviews
9. Re: Hampton Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express vs. Homewood Suites -HD

Stayed at Hampton at Bay and Abercorn in May. A+ experience in every possible way.

Reply to: Hampton Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express vs. Homewood Suites -HD
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted