We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need hotel help!

5 posts
Need hotel help!

My wife and I are coming down in just two weeks. We are coming down to visit our daughter who is in the residential facility down there. This has been an extremely stressful year and we need time to refresh, relax, and reconnect while we are down there. We will have a short time with our daughter and the rest of the time will be to work out ourselves. We want to stay within walking distance to River Street. I want a nice hotel. I am strange in the way that I only stay where there are glass showers because I have a thing about shower curtains. Ha Ha I know it is weird. I have been looking at the Kipton Premier King but don't know if it is worth $700 for two nights. I have also looked at a few others too. I would like to see what everyone suggests. Thank you.

Best Seller
Savannah Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
223 Reviews
from US$ 33.00*
Savannah Culinary and Cultural...
384 Reviews
from US$ 53.95*
Best Seller
Savannah Riverboat Cruises
1,098 Reviews
from US$ 27.50*
10 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,109 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Need hotel help!

Okay!!

My choices would be -

- The Homewood Suites Riverfront -

https:/…

- The Brice -

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60814-d86783-Reviews-The_Kimpton_Brice_Hotel-Savannah_Georgia.html#photos;aggregationId=106&albumid=106&filter=7&ff=158724051

- DeSoto

https:/…

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,313 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: Need hotel help!

I think the Andaz has glass door/partially open shower situation.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,659 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: Need hotel help!

Also the Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront and Hotel Indigo. Both have reasonable prices and near to restaurants, City Market, Visitor Center, museums, museum houses, and other points of interest.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,109 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Need hotel help!

I would confirm that the Indigo has the shower type the OP wants. The Indigo is in what was the old Inn at Ellis Square, and half of it was the old Days Inn years prior. There's a distinct difference between the rooms in the two different sections. The suite type rooms are very different - and in a completely separate area - from the normal sized hotel rooms.

The OP is asking for more than prices and location. The OP is asking a specific question = Do the rooms have glass doors on the showers instead of shower curtains?

Edited: 03 August 2018, 20:40
Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,659 posts
93 reviews
5. Re: Need hotel help!

If you took the time to look at the pics from travelers on TA it shows glass shower stalls in both hotels I listed. The Brice is also a remolded old hotel. The Indigo is cheaper and is in a better location in my opinion. It's not on the far East side of the HD like the Brice. Step outside the Indigo or Bohemian and restaurants, museum, museum houses, City Market and access to River Street are right there. No walking 1/2 mile to a mile to get to many tourist attractions like the Brice..

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,109 posts
95 reviews
6. Re: Need hotel help!

"If you took the time to look at the pics from travelers on TA it shows glass shower stalls in both hotels I listed"

I took the time to look but couldn't find pics of the showers - which made me wonder why they didn't include them.

Please share the links to the photos I missed.

Re "old buildings" = true for a lot of the hotels in the HD

I love Hotel Indigos! Was thrilled when the IHG started the concept with the the one in Atlanta - to compete with the Kimpton's boutique hotel concept. Their showers definitely have glass doors. In fact, the shower takes up 1/2 of the floor space in the very small bathrooms of (again) former Days Inn. I liked the Inn at Ellis Square too. They did remove the pool though and keep in mind that the size of the rooms at the Savannah Indigo vary widely, based on the two sections of the hotel. Just confirm that photos you see are not just of suite sized rooms but the hotel sized rooms too.

I love the Kimpton's Savannah hotel , the Brice, and as anyone who has stayed in both can attest, the Brice is a major renovation of the hotel that was there before, the Mulberry. But the Mulberry was for decades, one of the best three hotels in Savannah. The others = Hyatt Regency and the Planters Inn. For years, they were the ONLY good options in the HD. For me, they make up the golden triangle in Savannah = the "best" area to stay in the historic district of Savannah.

Per the TA lists of hotels, restaurants and museums, most of the top rated ones are on the eastern side of the HD.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 23:36
Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,659 posts
93 reviews
7. Re: Need hotel help!

For future reference to all go to the hotel your interested in, on the right side of the page you will see pictures, press traveler, then press bathrooms.

You might want to add the Desoto Hotel to make it top 4. It was and still is one of the best hotels in Savannah Originally the Desoto then it became the Desoto Hilton. It is back to being the Desoto.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,109 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Need hotel help!

In post #1 are links to photos of shower doors for three specific hotels.

TIA SavannahBruce for doing the same for the ones you are recommending. :-)

The DeSoto is a great option! We were upgraded to a gorgeous balcony room with a huge private balcony overlooking the cathedral. Spectacular view. There was a glimpse of the river but many blocks away. I love the DeSoto's location! Another great hotel on the eastern side of the HD, with good restaurants just steps away!

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,659 posts
93 reviews
9. Re: Need hotel help!

How is it that you always say that the Eastern side is the "quite side" then claim there are more restaurants, hotels & museum on the East side. Other then Bay St., The streets are almost deserted on the East side after 7:00 PM on the weekends from Habersham to East Broad. That's because it's the "quite side of the HD".

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,109 posts
95 reviews
10. Re: Need hotel help!

"Quite" side?

I've never used that word.

And check the TA lists. Despite your continued incorrect statements, the majority of the TOP restaurants, hotels and restaurants ARE on the eastern side. Don't blame me for that. The lists are based on thousands of TA posters.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 06:45
Reply to: Need hotel help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted