We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to baltimore/ gettysburg/ hershey/ lancaster/philly

Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Trip to baltimore/ gettysburg/ hershey/ lancaster/philly

Hi,

we are arriving on saturday afternoon flight to BWI and would like to visit these places and we leave on monday from philadelphia.

Plan to see baltimore sat/sunday, then rent car to see gettysburg on monday?

Q-should we drive back to baltimore ,stay night there and and then take amtrak to philly and then car from philly to valley forge/ hershey and lancaster?

Prefer using public transport over driving .

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
9 replies to this topic
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
619 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to baltimore/ gettysburg/ hershey/ lancaster/philly

How many days are you staying? You say you arrive in Baltimore on Saturday and leave Philadelphia on Monday. Is that just 2 days or do you have another week hidden in there?

Anyway, you’ll want to do Gettysburg, Hershey, and Lancaster in one road trip all from Baltimore. There is no public transportation to those towns. Return the car to Baltimore then take the train to Philadelphia. Or just drive to Philadelphia if the rental drop off fee is not steep. The Amtrak tickets may cost more than the drop off fee.

You can visit Valley Forge while you are in Philadelphia. Not sure about the public transport there.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to baltimore/ gettysburg/ hershey/ lancaster/philly

Thanks so much. yes it is 8 days total, not including days we fly. we do have half day on days we fly. would it be better to fly back from BWI? Prices slightly cheaper on southwest from BWI but thought it a waste of time to come back.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
619 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to baltimore/ gettysburg/ hershey/ lancaster/philly

Ah, that makes more sense. Hershey and Lancaster are more convenient to Baltimore than Philadelphia. That’s why Gettysburg, Hershey, and Lancaster will make a good round trip from Baltimore. You could do each as a day trip from Baltimore, but it would be better to stay in each town or find a more central location for a few days like Harrisburg or York PA. It’s generally recommended to spend a day in each town, but of course you can do more or less depending on your interests.

Having a car in Philadelphia is expensive (parking garage fees) and inconvenient (bad traffic). That’s why it makes sense to ditch the car before or when you get there. I’m sure you can find a way to get to Valley Forge from the city.

Unless you’re going back to Baltimore anyway or found an incredible price, it doesn’t make sense to go back to BWI just for the flight home.

Lots of good information on the Pennsylvania forums if you want specific ideas of what to do and where to stay in each town. Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
Harrisburg
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
York
York
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to baltimore/ gettysburg/ hershey/ lancaster/philly

Thanks a lot for helping with our planning.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
30 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to baltimore/ gettysburg/ hershey/ lancaster/philly

This is my first thought for a proposed itinerary. Personally, I would skip Lancaster, because I don't see the draw, but then I am there often, so maybe it's interesting to others. The drive from Lancaster to Philly, is basically the same as Baltimore to Lancaster...78 or 80 miles. If you start in Baltimore and end in Philly, you can do a pretty logical half circle. I wouldn't bother coming back to Baltimore from Philly. You could take a Baltimore day out of the below itinerary and give it a second day in Hershey, which could be a nice break from sight seeing.

Fly into Baltimore on Saturday. Sleep Baltimore.

Sunday - Baltimore sleep Baltimore

Monday- Baltimore sleep Baltimore

Tuesday - Gettysburg - sleep Gettysburg

Wednesday - Hershey - sleep Hershey

Thursday - Lancaster - sleep Lancaster

Friday - Monday Sleep in Philly. Visit Valley Forge, Chadd's Forge, either Longwood or Winterthur.

There is really no way to do any version of this itinerary without a rental car. I would just assume you will need it from start to finish.

Mentioned in this post
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to baltimore/ gettysburg/ hershey/ lancaster/philly

Is it better to start early morning for Gettysburg from Baltimore or in the evening ?

1) when is traffic lighter?

2) is it better to get there in evening and spend night there and be there early morning or does not matter?

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
619 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to baltimore/ gettysburg/ hershey/ lancaster/philly

I’d go in the evening. You can avoid the morning traffic in Baltimore and get a full day in at Gettysburg.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to baltimore/ gettysburg/ hershey/ lancaster/philly

I'd do morning in Gettysburg as it gets more crowded as the day goes on. I agree with the necessity of a rental car. assuming you have one in Gettysburg you can get a guide from the visitor center who drives your car and takes you around for several hours. It is a personalized experience and was terrific for us (adult and two kids 8 & 10). a few years ago it was $60 but I felt it was well worth the value.

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to baltimore/ gettysburg/ hershey/ lancaster/philly

I second the idea of the licensed guide for the battlefield at Gettysburg. Our guide was fantastic and his information, anecdotes, diagrams and illustrations and knowledge made our visit. We booked in advance to make sure we could do the tour at a time that fit with the rest of our day's plans. Make sure you see the Cyclorama at the Visitor Center. We also visited the Eisenhower site there--found it to be very interesting.

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Reply to: Trip to baltimore/ gettysburg/ hershey/ lancaster/philly
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted