We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minibus Hire with Driver

Yokohama
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Minibus Hire with Driver

Good afternoon, everyone,

In early April, I and my 3 business colleagues will be traveling to Jacksonville - but none of us can drive.

For two days, we will have appointments around Jacksonville and then on day 3, we need to travel to Tallahassee from where we will fly out from the airport.

I really need advice as to the best way to get around. Either we are considering hiring a driver and minivan for the full trip - we have a lot of luggage. Or we might use taxis for getting around Jacksonville and then an airport shuttle from Jacksonville to Tallahassee.

Would you be able to give me your thoughts? This will be our first time traveling to Florida and we need all the advice we can get...

Many thanks,

JJ05

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minibus Hire with Driver

You could use taxis, but that would be expensive and time-consuming. In Jacksonville, one cannot simply 'hail' a taxi from the street. You would have to telephone for a taxi and then wait for it to arrive. I think it may be advantageous for you (time-wise) to hire a driver. I will send you a private message with some additional information.

Vicki

Yokohama
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minibus Hire with Driver

Thanks, Vicki,

JJ05

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minibus Hire with Driver

Rent a van, for sure. On another note, I was just in Yokohama. Great place. Love the Chinatown there.

Yokohama
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minibus Hire with Driver

Ben P,

Thanks for the reply - and kind words re: Chinatown. Did you try the manju?

As for the minibus, I am still searching and time is running out.

We need to hire a driver and the van/minibus...

The only places seem to offer big 25+ seater buses or a limo-style service. Do you know anywhere in between these two? Otherwise, we will be forced to take taxis...

JJ2005

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minibus Hire with Driver

Yes I tried the manju, delicious.

As far as the van goes, I would suggest calling the Jacksonville Airport and explaining your situation. If none of you can drive, whether it's big or small, you'll have to rent some sort of transportation that comes with a driver. Let me do a little more research. At this point, it's not if, but how much you will need to spend. The good news is: whatever the price, you are splitting it between four individuals.

Will try to get back to you ASAP.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minibus Hire with Driver

Have you talked to the cab companies? They say they can accommodate you.

Coastal Cab: Call 904 246-9999 after 10:00 a.m. Monday local time and ask for Lester.

Gator City (Yellow Cab): Call 904 741-0008. This is their number at the airport. (Are you arriving in Jacksonville at the airport?) I talked to Michelle. She will be there today, Sunday, until 4:30 p.m. local. During the week she is there from 4:30 p.m. until about 11:00 p.m.

Good luck, and have a nice visit.

Spirit

Edited: 25 March 2012, 18:50
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Minibus Hire with Driver

Also, if you need any help with restaurant recommendations, or things to do, let me know. Either private message me or respond on this thread.

Yokohama
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Minibus Hire with Driver

Spirit - thank you. I will let you know how I get on...

Ben P - I really appreciate the advice. Cheers. Again - I will PM you for restaurant recommendations...

All the best,

JJ

Yokohama
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Minibus Hire with Driver

thanks to all on the jax forum

we had a great time in florida

jj

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Minibus Hire with Driver

Great news! Would love to hear details. Have fun in Yokohama.