We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 301/24 Jacksonville to Gainesville/I-75

TO
Level Contributor
894 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Highway 301/24 Jacksonville to Gainesville/I-75

I am looking to avoid downtown Jacksonville and Orlando by making this shortcut to I-75. Is it pretty much a straight shot, or are there an excessive number of traffic lights? Any help is most appreciated,

Thanks, Sinead

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highway 301/24 Jacksonville to Gainesville/I-75

It is a widespread belief down here that Waldo and Stark (on 301) finance their entire city operations by giving out speeding tickets. It has been and still is such a problem that for years AAA has actually had a big billbord up beside the road warning drivers that speed limits are strictly enforced and citations given.

301 is an alternate route. I take it now and then for variety.

Watch those speed limit signs!!

Spirit

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highway 301/24 Jacksonville to Gainesville/I-75

US 301 from Hawthorne to County Road 326 (connecting to I-75) is a worthwhile option.

TO
Level Contributor
894 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highway 301/24 Jacksonville to Gainesville/I-75

Thanks so much for the heads-up. We drive down from Canada, so are quite cognisant of some of the speedtraps (especially in Summerville in WV). AAA used to reroute us around that area in fact. If we take this route, we will be very careful. My main reason for the route is to avoid I-4, which I find quite unpleasant...thanks again.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highway 301/24 Jacksonville to Gainesville/I-75

Lawtey is also on the speeding enforcement list. You can also expect speed to be tightly enforced in the more substantial town of Starke, which is spreading along the highway.

Some of the enforcement is due to legitimate concern over children being driven to and from school.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highway 301/24 Jacksonville to Gainesville/I-75

I hadn't driven Interstate 4 from Daytona to Tampa for a while until last month and I found it a lot better now that it has been widened.

Also we have Route 9 from Interstate 95 that cuts through Jacksonville pretty far east of the downtown area and reconnects with Interstate 95 south of the city. We've had Route 9 for a couple years so you probably know about that.

Have a good trip.

Spirit

Edited: 29 March 2010, 07:23
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highway 301/24 Jacksonville to Gainesville/I-75

State Road 9 in Jacksonville still seems to be hiding in plain sight. For some reason, it didn't qualify for an Interstate route number.

The widened I-4 is notably better at the bridge over the St. Johns River.

Orlando can now be bypassed to the east or (with a short excursion on suburban streets) to the west. You exit at W Maitland Blvd, head west until it turns into the brand-new Maitland Blvd Extension, and follow until you reach the southbound Western Expressway (toll)

TO
Level Contributor
894 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highway 301/24 Jacksonville to Gainesville/I-75

Thanks very much for your input. I've decided to take 301 on to Ocala and then over to I-75, and I will be sure to be careful in the abovementioned communities (I'll drive that stretch, rather than hubby ;)

Thanks again.

St. Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
110 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Highway 301/24 Jacksonville to Gainesville/I-75

We make this trip quite often to visit the inlaws. As long as you observe the speed limit (especially when it's 55 or less), you're fine! It's not a bad drive at all! I despise 95 to 75 and avoid I4 at all cost!!

PS: Stop at Steve's Famous P-nuts when you get into the Ocala area for some good nuts or fresh fruit!

TO
Level Contributor
894 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Highway 301/24 Jacksonville to Gainesville/I-75

Thanks so much. I'll be sure to look out for Steve's Famous P-Nuts...we always used to stop at Rosie's in Georgia, but it appears to be gone now. Thanks again.

10. Re: Highway 301/24 Jacksonville to Gainesville/I-75

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2010, 09:47