We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fruit Stand/ Orange Grove near I-95 Jacksonville & North

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Fruit Stand/ Orange Grove near I-95 Jacksonville & North

Hi-

I will be taking a trip to S to Jacksonville on I-95 near the end of January & I've got a hankering for honeybell tangelos. I remember a few years back I found a family owned fruit stand a couple miles off the freeway coming back from Miami. I would like to repeat that experience- cheap, good citrus while still supporting a local family or small business. Please no big overpriced "Indian River Citrus" stores off of the exits. Just the small, local, family types. A grove would be perfect.

Thanks in advance!

Jacksonville...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
285 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fruit Stand/ Orange Grove near I-95 Jacksonville & North

Hi Rainprincess,

I am sorry that I can't be of more help. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with what you are looking for, and can't think of any places to buy citrus that is locally grown. Even the farmer's market at the beach and on the northside do not sell locally grown fruit. Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge, all of the orange groves of substantial size in this area were wiped out by freeze or blight in the 70's. Most of them are now subdivisions. There might be someone on the side of the road selling or giving away what they have from their yard, but I wouldn't know where they are. Sorry again!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fruit Stand/ Orange Grove near I-95 Jacksonville & North

Hmmm. Than can you recommend a farmer's market? Is one generally better than another? Do any specialize in citrus?

Thanks!

Jacksonville...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
285 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fruit Stand/ Orange Grove near I-95 Jacksonville & North

I think your best bet is the Jacksonville Farmer's Market. http://www.jaxfarmersmarket.com/ It's right off of 95, so it should be convenient for you during your visit. Happy citrus hunting!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fruit Stand/ Orange Grove near I-95 Jacksonville & North

Thanks for the advice. It was perfect! Found the fruit & veggies I wanted. They still had honeybells, too, so I bought a half bushel. I am one happy camper....

Jacksonville...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
285 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fruit Stand/ Orange Grove near I-95 Jacksonville & North

That's great to hear! Glad you had success and bonus honeybells too!

6. Re: Fruit Stand/ Orange Grove near I-95 Jacksonville & North

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 23:49