We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jacksonville/ St. Augustine in July?

2 posts
Jacksonville/ St. Augustine in July?

Hi. I was wondering if someone could help me. I’m planning a trip to St. Augustine in July. I’m hearing the heat is terrible. I live inPittsburgh and we get a lot of humidity. Is Florida worse? Does the heat go away in the evenings? I will have my kids with me so will they be able to beat the heat? How hot is it North Florida? Thanks!!

6 replies to this topic
Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,518 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: Jacksonville/ St. Augustine in July?

It’s hot and while the night (it will get dark around 9PM) brings the temps down the humidity is 90% and higher typically. Coastal areas get a breeze where inland areas are miserable. July is the hottest month but bear in mind that people live here with kids and survive the heat. It’s not the best time weather/temperature wise but that should not stop you from visiting. Just use air conditioning, wear lite weight clothing, hydrate, and wear sunscreen and sun glasses. Stay someplace with a pool- the kids will appreciate it and invest in sun shirts - they really prevent burns when swimming. Weather averages are available online and I suggest looking at them.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
225 reviews
2. Re: Jacksonville/ St. Augustine in July?

Heat impact is relative, but PF is correct that July will probably be the hottest month of the year. If you are truly on the coast (note Jacksonville and St. Augustine proper are not), the offshore breezes can provide reasonable relief. Not so much inland and the insect pests can be a bit worse due to the marshes and calmer winds. Generally expect an afternoon thunderstorm but they usually last less than 15 minutes. Sometimes they can cool things off, but other times just bump up the humidity.

All that being said, follow the precautions above and limit strenuous outdoor activities between noon and 3pm and you and the family will be fine. Enjoy your visit.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,552 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Jacksonville/ St. Augustine in July?

As previously indicated, yes, July is hot, hot, hot here in Jacksonville. But most of us tend to stay in the air-conditioning or the water. The central Florida theme parks are pretty miserable in July, but in St. Augustine and Jacksonville, just make it a point not to stay outdoors for a long period of time so the kids don't get cranky. Pretty much everywhere you go has nice, cold AC, so you should be fine. Enjoy!

Vicki

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
19,087 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Jacksonville/ St. Augustine in July?

Yes its hot but nothing like Phoenix or Las Vegas. Quite often there is a late afternoon thunderstorm which cools things off considerably.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Jacksonville/ St. Augustine in July?

But don't for a second let yourself think that the evenings will be cool or dry. They'll be coolER and driER, but we're talking lows in the 70s and humidity still over 85-90%, even at night.

2 posts
6. Re: Jacksonville/ St. Augustine in July?

Thank everyone for your help!!!

Reply to: Jacksonville/ St. Augustine in July?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted