We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

birding

Arlington Heights...
4 posts
1 review
birding

I'll be in Jacksonville this weekend, and will have a couple hours free time Friday and Saturday to go birding. I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,601 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: birding

If you click on the Things to Do tab above you will find a list of sanctuaries that might work for you.

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: birding

Did you find any good birding sites? I’m headed to Jacksonville in a few weeks and would appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks!

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
119 reviews
3. Re: birding

Mayport has lots of pelicans and seagulls where the fishing boats come in. And there are a couple fish restaurants there that people go to, Singletons and Safe Harbor. At Safe Harbor you can sit outside and be closer to the pelicans. Mayport is the part of Jacksonville that is on the south side of the end of the St John's River estuary.

B.E.A.K.S., Bird Emergency Aid and Kare Sanctuary, is off A1A a couple miles north of the Mayport ferry which crosses the St John's River.

A great place to go is the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge near Folkston GA. You'll see birds and some impressive gators too! Beautiful swamp. Not to be missed. Take the naturalist guided boat tour. Call 912-496-7156 for information and times of tours. This place is 1 hour 15 minutes northwest of downtown Jacksonville.

The most notable birding sites in Florida are:

•Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

•Everglades National Park.

•Dry Tortugas National Park.

•J.N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge.

•STA-5 Lake Okeechobee.

Spirit

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: birding

Thank you!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
63 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: birding

check out floridabirdingtrail.com and click on the east section, Jacksonville has some amazing birding opportunities.

Reply to: birding
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted