We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18th/Market -- relatively safe after dark?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
209 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
18th/Market -- relatively safe after dark?

Hi--

Coming to Philly for a convention next week, bringing my wife and 6yo with me. We're staying at the Sonesta on a pretty good conference rate. My wife and I lived in Philly from 96-98, and this is the first time I've been back. We lived out in the NE (Fox Chase) but I worked in Old City, and so I think I'm still pretty familiar with SEPTA, the blue and green lines, etc. we are not renting a car.

Wondering what the area around the hotel is like at night. From what I remember, the area above Suburban Station, immediately west of City Hall, is full of office workers during the day, but what's it like in the evenings? Will we be able to find decent restaurant choices in walking distance, even if they're just pizza or cheesesteak places? Is the walk to the Rittenhouse Square area safe and reasonable in the 8-9PM ballpark? With a young child, we're obviously not looking for 5-star restaurants, and we won't be out drinking until 2AM. And I don't mind taking cabs as needed, but it would be nice to explore the area on foot a bit, if that's reasonable.

Welcome everyone's thoughts. Excited to be visiting Philly after 14 years away. Thanks.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 18th/Market -- relatively safe after dark?

The Sonesta is in a decent location. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable walking around that area in the evening.

You'll have no problem finding restaurants within walking distance. One option I'd suggest is Pietro's at 17th and Walnut. It's a casual place with pizza and pasta, and it has a kids' menu.

http://www.pietrospizza.com/home.asp

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
49 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 18th/Market -- relatively safe after dark?

Market and JFK will get quiet after the work day but head south to Chestnut or Walnut and you'll have plenty of food and shopping options in every price range. Rittenhouse is a popular area in the evening/night so it's always filled with people.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 18th/Market -- relatively safe after dark?

Yes you'll be perfectly safe and within steps of many good restaurants.

With a well behaved 6 year old you could go to virtually any restaurant, especially if you are eating on the early side. Pietro's is a good option with kids.http://www.pietrospizza.com/

Chinatown (which is near the convention center) is also very child friendly.

let us know if you want other restaurant suggestions.

Edited: 04 September 2012, 21:43
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
209 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 18th/Market -- relatively safe after dark?

Thanks all for great advice and suggestions. We will definitely check out Pietro's. And Chinatown is definitely on our list too, probably around my time at the convention center.

Phila., PA
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 18th/Market -- relatively safe after dark?

Yes I think it's quite safe and there are a number of reasonable restaurants in the immediate area. also you can walk North during the day to the Parkway, where your wife will be able to take a walk, or visit several museums with the child. It's not packed at night like Old City, but it's a good location, in m opinion

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
209 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 18th/Market -- relatively safe after dark?

Thanks all. We had a great time in Philly, and the Sonesta hotel was a solid choice in a GREAT location. Plenty of restaurants, shops, and bars on the 18th/19th, Chestnut, and Walnut blocks. We had dinner at Pietro's as recommended, and also Numa (sushi/Japanese) and Serafina (Italian). All were great, as was the last-morning breakfast we enjoyed at Midtown II, a classic 24-hr "greasy spoon" diner.

Thanks again!

7. Re: 18th/Market -- relatively safe after dark?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2013, 14:48