We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancelled flights out of Philadelphia because of bad weather

Upper Darby...
Level Contributor
26 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Cancelled flights out of Philadelphia because of bad weather

My brother and I had planned to fly down to Atlanta this weekend (April 4-7). We went down to the airport this morning to check in for our flight, only to find out that it was cancelled due to the bad weather there. My other brother, who lives in Atlanta, had found this airfare on Expedia.com and my uncle had paid for it with his credit card.

We spend the whole morning going back and forth between the airline, and talking to my brother and my uncle on my cellphone. There was a 2 o'clock flight on AirTran that was overbooked and we couldn't get put on standby. The flight after that (the one that they put is on) was supposed to leave out of Philadelphia at 5:22 pm and get into Atlanta at about twenty=five minutes to 8. If we had taken that flight, we would have been hanging around the Philadelphia airport all day long, it would have killed our whole weekend, and then we just decided to simply go home. AirTran did credit the fare and the credit is good for a whole year.

In a way, I'm glad that we did because there's a severe thunderstorm warning and a tornado watch down there today. Supposed those other two flights were either delayed or cancelled. I decided to wait until October to go there, and hopefully, there won't be any severe weather threats there at that time. But when I do, I am going to call and check to make sure that the flight is going to leave on time. I don't want to have to go through this again.

If anybody else has had problems with getting flights out of Philadelphia, especially in bad weather, please feel free to let me know.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancelled flights out of Philadelphia because of bad weather

Weather happens.

With the capacity rates as they are in the airline industry, yours is not a unique story no matter what airport you travel from. Right now on average, the recovery factor (how many following flights it takes to accommodate all the people from one cancelled flight) is around 11. That means if one flight is cancelled, the open seats on the next 11 flights to that same destination would be needed to get those passengers to destination.

Calling and checking ahead is great, but weather delays are often a last minute decision. I have had flights canceled after we had already gotten on the plane due to changes on the ground.

April is always a fun month, because of storms, but hey, October is hurricane season. It's pretty much luck of the draw.

2. Re: Cancelled flights out of Philadelphia because of bad weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 05:48