We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip and Museum Advice

Ronkonkoma, New York
Level Contributor
915 posts
48 reviews
89 helpful votes
Trip and Museum Advice
Save

We decided to book 2 nights at the Wyndham Historic District and have until tomorrow afternoon to cancel, if we change our minds. I just checked the weather and it is going to be in the 90's and humid. Fortunately, it seems like there is a lot to do within 15 minutes walking from the hotel. My one concern is that many of the attractions require advanced ticket purchases, some with a selected time slot. Does anyone know if there is often availability the mornings of? It's tough to plan out a "timed day" and it would be a shame to travel and then not be able to see the attractions. I was also looking at the Seaport Museum vs. the Museum of American Revolution. Any preferences between those? We were also hoping to go to Yards Brewing Company and a friend said that area is not the safest for walking around and to take an Uber...any thoughts on that? Thanks so much for any advice as this is quite a last minute trip and there's not a whole lot of time to plan.

8 replies to this topic
Marlton, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
9,900 posts
149 reviews
139 helpful votes
1. Re: Trip and Museum Advice
Save

The seaport is a smaller museum so I would not count on day of - it would not necessarily surprise me if there were, but if you want to be sure, pre-buy. The MAR rarely sells out (its possible I suppose) midweek, especially without schools doing trips.

I personally have no issues with the area around Yards Brewing company or the walk to it, but it is an 'up and coming' (read: being gentrified) area that does not have the best rep so some people do feel uncomfortable. There are some spots that the conversion has not reached yet. I don't know if I would walk back solo at 10PM after having a few beers, but I'd say that about pretty much any bar in a big city.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
604 posts
22 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip and Museum Advice
Save

Area around Yards is fine. I would just use 4th St to walk to Spring Garden St and then up Spring Garden to 5th

Ronkonkoma, New York
Level Contributor
915 posts
48 reviews
89 helpful votes
3. Re: Trip and Museum Advice
Save

I believe there is a brewery by Yards. Safe enough to walk between them?

Marlton, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
9,900 posts
149 reviews
139 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip and Museum Advice
Save

Yards is the brewery. And I think so, usual big city safety rules apply.

Brigantine, New...
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
140 reviews
199 helpful votes
5. Re: Trip and Museum Advice
Save

Look at. maps.google.Com and locate the attractions you want to see

Then you can more easily get a sense of timing and get your tickets in advance.

You don't want to miss your biggest wants.

Masks are required indoors and in transit in Philadelphia.

There is a separate thread about restaurants in Philly that require proof of vaccination.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
862 posts
280 reviews
123 helpful votes
6. Re: Trip and Museum Advice
Save

Kristine, I remember from your Rehoboth trip that you and your partner appreciate good beer. Yard’s is fine, but my advice as a fellow connoisseur of the suds is to go to one (or all) of the following places in Philly:

1. South Philly Taproom…a charming little hole in the wall that not only has the best-curated selection of local beers on tap and in bottles/cans, but a really creative kitchen and fun vibe.

2. Standard Tap…an old beer bar in a historic building with similarly good selection of local brews and a nice menu.

3. Frankford Hall…get your German on here with Philly’s most authentic European beer garden atmosphere. Some local microbrews available, but you’re here for the deep catalog German taps.

If you have your heart set on going to a Philly brewery, you will thank me for recommending Tired Hands. It’s a short Septa train ride out to Ardmore from Center City, but here you’ll find the most special beer in the region, if not the Commonwealth.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
311 posts
27 reviews
26 helpful votes
7. Re: Trip and Museum Advice
Save

My vote would be for the Museum of the American Revolution. Tons of bars and restaurants within close walking distance, as well.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
22 reviews
16 helpful votes
8. Re: Trip and Museum Advice
Save

Those two very different museums, both worthwhile. MOAR takes hours to go through if you want to experience most of it. If you do go, the presentation of George Washington’s tent is a must.

If you have particular interest in seafaring you won’t be disappointed at the Seaport Museum. It’s very well curated, with a lot of lesser known info.

Edited: 26 August 2021, 18:26
Reply to: Trip and Museum Advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.