We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso? if not, what is the nearest american city the you would recommend to travel to and then to cross over into mexico?

57 replies to this topic
london
Level Contributor
539 posts
51. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

sorry but that is not the case either...

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,808 posts
78 reviews
52. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

londongoto, I'm not sure I understand your answer. Do you have a rental car company that does insure you car when crossing into Mexico? I'd be keen on find out which company.

For me, there is nothing in a Mexican border town that I want to experience. And the possibility of problems greatly outweighs any positive aspects.

Back 20 years ago, it was fun enough to got to a restaurant across the border. We always walked.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
17 reviews
53. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

Without your passport you won't be allowed back into the US..

Fremont, North...
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
146 reviews
54. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

>>londongoto, I'm not sure I understand your answer. Do you have a rental car company that does insure you car when crossing into Mexico? I'd be keen on find out which company.

For me, there is nothing in a Mexican border town that I want to experience. And the possibility of problems greatly outweighs any positive aspects.

Back 20 years ago, it was fun enough to got to a restaurant across the border. We always walked.<<

Hertz offers separate insurance for those who are going to be driving their rental into Mexico. You do have to pay extra for it.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
371 reviews
55. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

Here is the latest State Department warning (updated August 22, 2017): https:/…mexico-travel-warning.html

Skip down to the paragraph dealing specifically with Ciudad Juarez if you want the US Government's assessment, which is designed to protect you. While many people have no problem, obviously there still are problems, so decide for yourself how much risk you are willing to take.

Muy buena suerte/Good luck!

Frankfort, Kentucky
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
56. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

wife and I are traveling to Juarez from las cruces NM, just for the day, wanting to do some shoping. we have entered mexico from the border town in Yuma az. we just parked in a parking lot and walked over. we can we expect in Juarez? would like to do the same as we did in Yuma. but have no idea what to expect. any help is appreciated.

Collinsville...
1 post
1 review
57. Re: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?

I'll be in El Paso for a few hours. I just wondered how safe it would be to visit in the late afternoon? Probably from 4 pm to about 7 pm.

Reply to: April 2014- Is it safe to go to Juarez from el paso?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted