We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just driving through. 2 hour break.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just driving through. 2 hour break.

Saturday we drive from Tucson to Fort Stockton on the I-10 and keep going.

I want to split up the trip and take a 2 hour break in El Paso. Never been there before. Lunch, drinks (soft) and walk around for an hour or 2. It will be in the middle of a hot day, we know. Any suggestions as to where we can just chill out near the I-10 for a bit?

Any thing worth visiting, since the real agenda is to get from point A to point B? We'll have more time on the next trip.

Is Las Cruces a better layover?

4 replies to this topic
Dallas
Level Contributor
3,714 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just driving through. 2 hour break.

Consider stopping in Old Mesilla area in Las Cruces instead. Right off the I-10. http://www.oldmesilla.org

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just driving through. 2 hour break.

First, I'm sure you're aware the drive itself is roughly 8 hours of driving time, so that if you stop for 2 hours, your day will be a 10-hour day.

Second, if you're planning on spending the night in Fort Stockton, make certain that you have hotel reservations, as anything along I-10 close to Midland/Odessa will likely be full because of the oil & gas boom that is currently going on. You may need to divert your trip further south to find rooms, possibly to somewhere along US 90, but I definitely would try to make reservations. (You might try Fort Davis, Alpine, Marfa, or Marathon if you cannot get reservations in Fort Stockton.)

I recall driving through El Paso, and not seeing any place convenient to get off I-10 to rest for awhile, but it's been quite a few years. Las Cruces seemed very pleasant when I stayed there overnight on my first night on a trip from Los Angeles to Houston. As I said, this trip was over 20 years ago, so things have definitely changed.

Safe travels!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just driving through. 2 hour break.

Thanks Gene T for your response. I definitely have a reservation. Im a Marriott guy, unfortunately all I found along the way is a Fairfield Inn, but room is booked. Nothing more than a layover for the night to break up the trip, with breakfast included. That's really the only reason for stopping there.

There is always a Costco right off the freeway: Cheap gas. Cheap sodas. Clean bathrooms. I can walk around for 20 minutes to stretch out the legs in air conditioning, people watch and get fed for free (just kidding).

Im saying this in jest. Years ago I had a friend in El Paso, but he is long gone. Always wanted me to come visit. I was just looking for something more memorable to say: Yeah, we've been to El Paso and had lunch at ......!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just driving through. 2 hour break.

zeltz--

Wish I could offer a suggestion for a place to stop. Maybe a post in the El Paso forum would help?

I don't know how far east you're going on I-10, but be sure to observe the 80 MPH speed limit, as law enforcement (particularly within about 40-50 miles of Sonora) enforce it very strictly--I mean they'll ticket you for going 81, so be careful. Besides, 80 is fast enough when you've got other cars to contend with.

Have a great trip!

Reply to: Just driving through. 2 hour break.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted