We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Students crossing border

Saint Marys...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Students crossing border

I visited El Paso for business recently and crossed the border to Juarez for business purposes. I was surprised to see a pretty steady flow of what appeared to be students crossing the bridge on foot around 7am. I’m not asking for opinions about immigration policy......just curious about life in the border towns. Can students living in Mexico attend public schools in El Paso?

2 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
434 posts
137 reviews
1. Re: Students crossing border

Yes.You did see students going to school. Their parents get them up very early. Get them prepared and send them on their way. There's really only two kinds of students. The Mexican citizens with a passport, that pay to go to private school.

And the other kind of students are Anchor Babies. Their parents got deported but they still want their kids to have a better education.

This goes on at large and small border crossings across the border states.

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
135 reviews
2. Re: Students crossing border

In addition to what spraygun has said, you may have also seen university freshmen heading to UTEP as part of an exchange program. Before all the violence the flow went two ways with American college students attending school in Juarez. Now, not so much.

Reply to: Students crossing border
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted