We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Town of 1 10 to spend night after EL PESO towards Houst

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
Best Town of 1 10 to spend night after EL PESO towards Houst

Good day, I will be travelling by road from Yama to Houston, with middle stop some where near EL Peso at night.

My goal is to keep my second day travel to around 7 to 8 hours till Houston, so ideally I like to say some where after crossing El Peso after 1 10.

I was wondering what are recommended places possible 1 1/2 to 3 hours max after El PESO

I need a town which ideally has something like stay bridge as I have 3 kids and 2 adults and hopefully spate connecting rooms are ideal, please share few recommendations so I Can check on hotels etc

Regards,

5 replies to this topic
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
760 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Town of 1 10 to spend night after EL PESO towards Houst

Not a lot of good options unless you want to go south of I-10 after leaving El Paso. Van Horn has decent motels and places to eat. From Van Horn to Houston is probably about nine hours.

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Town of 1 10 to spend night after EL PESO towards Houst

Van Horn is pretty much it. Beyond that, there is little until you reach Fort Stockton, and reports from there say all the rooms in the area are booked by oil field workers. Cutting south to Alpine will add about another hour before you can find a place, and you would have 45 miles of winding road to get back to IH10.

I think Hampton Inn has connecting rooms. …hilton.com/en/…index.html

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Town of 1 10 to spend night after EL PESO towards Houst

Thanks for info

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
760 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Town of 1 10 to spend night after EL PESO towards Houst

If you plan on making it to Houston the following day you should not venture off I-10 but if you have time staying in Marfa or Fort Davis would be an option, it a interesting part of the state.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Town of 1 10 to spend night after EL PESO towards Houst

I have no idea where Yama is to help guide you with how far you could drive in one day, but roughly 3.0 hours east of El Paso would put you into either Fort Davis (as suggested by jsthouston) and 3.5 hours would put you into Alpine. (If the starting point is Yuma, AZ, that makes your first day's drive nearly 11 hours to Fort Davis.)The latter seems to have far more hotel choices, although I do not see Staybridge listed in either town. Driving onward to Houston, it is roughly 8 hours from Alpine and 8.5 hours from Fort Davis. Our experience is that there are more restaurants (albeit chain-types, Mexican restaurants, etc.) in Alpine than in Fort Davis, but better food in Fort Davis, for what that's worth. Others may well disagree based on more time in both towns, as ours is somewhat limited.

I'd definitely suggest making reservations ahead of time, wherever you decide to stay.

Reply to: Best Town of 1 10 to spend night after EL PESO towards Houst
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted