We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Eve and Christmas in El Paso

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
22 posts
Christmas Eve and Christmas in El Paso

Hello.

My wife and I are spending a week visiting Big Bend National Park, Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mountains in December. Our itinerary puts us in El Paso for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, flying home on the 26th.

I don't expect much to be open on those days because of the holiday, but if anyone knows of anything to do on December 24th or 25th in or around El Paso -- any events, restaurants that have holiday dinners, places to spend time -- we'd love to know about it.

Thank you.

11 replies to this topic
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
22 posts
11. Re: Christmas Eve and Christmas in El Paso

Not a whole lot.

We ended up staying in Las Cruces, NM on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day instead due to lack of activities in El Paso.

On Christmas Eve we had dinner at La Posta de Mesilla, had a drink at Double Eagle and took part in the carols and Luminarias event taking place in Old Town Mesilla. Both restaurants and the Luminarias event is in the same area, with a few shops. We loved it. Spending most Christmases with family in Detroit, it was great to observe and be a part of a different tradition.

On Christmas Day, we had Christmas brunch at Double Eagle. It was pricey but the food was great and there aren't a lot of other options. Later that day we drove into El Paso to check out the WinterFest event they had going on. The city was mostly deserted. Not a whole lot open. We watched some families ice skate around the WinterFest rink and walked up and down a few of the downtown streets that had open shops - nothing noteworthy, just your typical every-major-city-street-shops selling knock-off purses and shoes type of deal. We ended up seeing a movie in El Paso that evening since it was one of the few things open. We drove back to Las Cruces, my wife grabbed a late Christmas dinner at the Sonic that was across from our hotel and that was pretty much it.

The only other option we had on Christmas Day was to hike into the Organ Mountains area, which was listed as CLOSED for the day. We were going to attempt it anyway but then decided we didn't want to waste the day driving around barriers in a rental car and essentially trespassing on federal land during the one day per year that it's closed.

Reply to: Christmas Eve and Christmas in El Paso
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted