We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Amish Community

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Visit to Amish Community

My twin brother and I are coming to New York on 26/03...can't wait! Have picked up loads of great ideas from this forum. My brother mentioned that a friend of his visited an Amish Community on a trip to New York.

Has anyone any information on this.....is it far from New York?

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,047 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Amish Community

They;re in Pennsylvania

http://www.800padutch.com/

Virginia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Amish Community

When I was in NYC in November I saw a flyer about an Amish outdoor market that sells stuff a few times a week. We didn't get a chance to go but if I'm remembering correctly it was in the 50's streets. I doubt there is an Amish community in the city. Most likely they are bringing stuff in from Philly to set at the market. That is just a huge guess.

You'll need to go to PA to see the good ole Amish dutch country around Lancaster. You can also find them in Ohio and a few other states.

So....does anyone know anything about the market?

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Amish Community

I googled Amish and NY and found quite a few listings. It appears most of the NY Amish are in the northern and western counties...Westfield NY is on Lake Erie near the Ohio line....and Canton is up by the St. Lawrence seaway...These are pretty far from Manhattan. Allegany County, in the southwest corner, also appears to have a good sized community.

The Amish markets in NY City are listed as:

Amish Fine Food Market 130 Cedar St.

Amish Market East 240 E 45th St.

Amish Food Midtown 71 W 55th

Flushing, NY
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Amish Community

What goes clip clop, clip clop, clip clop--bang bang bang--clip clop, clip clop, clip clop?

An Amish drive-by shooting.

P.S. The Amish strip clubs are very boring.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Amish Community

Every consider doing stand-up?

Flushing, NY
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Amish Community

Only if you agree to be my manager.

Besides, there are jokes about every single ethnic, religious and geographic group you can imagine. Yet nobody takes the time to make fun of the Amish. I thought that oversight should be corrected.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,047 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to Amish Community

Oy. Ruff, keep your day job, Pluhleeeeze.

As to markets, the ones listed are food markets (indoor). It's possible the Amish bring produce etc. to some of the regular green markets in the city, the one at Union Square being the most well known.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit to Amish Community

Many thanks for all the replies. I have checked the web site mentioned by Nywhiz and it looks like it's a 3 hour train journey to Lancaster P.A!

I think we'll scrub that one from the itinerary!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit to Amish Community

I am sure my Big Apple greeter pointed out a Amish shop near Bleecker Street/6th Avenue.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit to Amish Community

Hi! On one of my trips to New York I decided to visit Amish country for a weekend. I hired a car from Alamo at Newark airport, and drove about two hours to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. I stayed at a gorgeous bed and breakfast place called the Osceola Mill House just outside the little village of Intercourse (where they filmed the movie, "Witness" with Harrison Ford). I had a truly delightful time! The countryside around there is really beautiful and peaceful, and the Mill House (built in 1766) is in a pretty setting next to a stream. I lay in my four-poster bed in the morning, listening to the clip-clop of the horses' hooves of the Amish people's carriages as they drove past - it was like something from another world! I can really recommend doing such a little side trip out of New York, if you are interested in something really different, and have the opportunity. If you want to check Osceola's website, it is www.lancaster-inn.com, and as NYwhiz said, a good general website for the area is www.800padutch.com. If you would like any further information, you're welcome to email me directly: cnixon@humanities.uct.ac.za. Cheers, Cindy