We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experts Please- Getting a cab from Penn Station

Dallas
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Experts Please- Getting a cab from Penn Station

We are flying into Newark airport and considering taking the Amtrak train into the City, getting off at Penn Station, arriving around 12:30 p.m. - staying on E 34th Street - My question is - how hard will it be to grab a cab in front of Penn Station at that time? Would you recommend getting a cab at Newark and getting into the City that way? There are 3 of us, we each will have one suitcase - we would really like to take the train into the City, but I worry we will have to walk 12 to 15 blocks to our hotel... We are staying at the Affinia Dumont - Experts, what do you think? Train or cab? We are arriving next Thursday around 12:30 p.m. I worry about knowing how to hail a cab and that they won't stop for us - probably stupid worrying - but I like to know what to expect. Is there any other way to get across town - other than cab (with luggage)?

Thank you so much.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experts Please- Getting a cab from Penn Station

If you are staying at the Affinia Dumont and you have a suitcase, you better take a cab from Penn station. Since you are 3 to pay for the cab, it won't cost you much. The cab ride from Penn station to Affinia Dumont, if the traffice is not too bad, won't cost you more than 10$ (at the most!!!) split threeways....almost the same as taking the bus.

There's no problem in taking a cab in front of Penn station. You just have to get out and there's a special line for cabs with a person who manages the cabs coming in. Even if the line seems really long, you will see that you won't wait more than 10 minutes. I got out once of Penn station on a Saturday night and the line was so long that I was sure that I would be caught there for hours and in 10 minutes I was out of there.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Experts Please- Getting a cab from Penn Station

Thanks! That's just what I wanted to hear - I am so glad that there is someone to help us get a cab out of Penn Station. I don't mind waiting in line, as long as someone else is summoning the cab - Being from Dallas, we are not one bit used to hailing cabs! Its these little things about NY that worry me the most. But I know we will have a marvelous time. None of us have ever stayed in NY before, so its bound to be a big adventure.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Experts Please- Getting a cab from Penn Station

Just note that when getting a cab at Penn Station, if you are going south, go to the cab stand on 7th Avenue--going north use the one on 8th Avenue. Much simpler and more direct for the cab driver. There is lots of signage inside the station so it will be easy to find the cab stands.

rqf
New York City
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Experts Please- Getting a cab from Penn Station

Exit Penn Station to the 8th Avenue side. Finding a cab will not be difficult . The hotel is less than one mile away. The cab will cost less than $10.

You can get across town by taking an M34 bus. It stops close to the hotel. Fare is $2 a person and unless you have a Metro Card fare can be paid with coins only. A cab would only be a few dollars more and the cab is the way to go.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Experts Please- Getting a cab from Penn Station

Awesome!! thank you all so much - this is really a great forum. It makes trip planning so easy.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Experts Please- Getting a cab from Penn Station

Just a note: A taxi from Newark will be about $60+tip+toll

not much more than the train/cab from penn option.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Experts Please- Getting a cab from Penn Station

Keep in mind that Penn Station is in fact between 31st and 33rd Street. I think it would therefore be easier if you use one of the cabs heading north on Eighth Avenue. There is a cab stand with a dispatcher on Eighth near the corner of 33rd.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Experts Please- Getting a cab from Penn Station

I wanted to thank everyone and let you know - our trip was great, taking the train from the Newark Airport was a breeze and really fast, took about 20 minutes to get to Penn Station. I thank you all for your help with the cab - we found the cab line very easily (since I knew where to look) - It was all too easy!!

Marianne

9. Re: Experts Please- Getting a cab from Penn Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 05:45