We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NY with kids for Christmas & New Year

Dormagen, Germany
Level Contributor
27 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
NY with kids for Christmas & New Year

Hi everyone,

We're thinking of going to New York this year over the Christmas/NY holidays. My girls are 5 and 3 and we're hoping to stay somewhere close to central. Ideal would be a vacation rental with good access to town and tourist attractions.

My first question is which area would be suitable? It would be nice to have some cafés and restaurants around the corner but not loud, active nightlife. Somewhere close to a park would also be good. I saw some beach houses on the internet but am thinking that it would be really cold during winter...any thoughts here?

Would we need a car despite the good public transportation system in NY? We don't plan to do lengthy tours with the kids, if walking and taking buses/trams can get us around, that's fantastic.

Thanking you in advance for your replies and suggestions!

Whittlesey, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NY with kids for Christmas & New Year

You would not need a car, the subway and buses are the best way to get around, there is a great thread in the frequently asked questions section about which area to stay, also a thread about why vacation rentals are a bad idea.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s204/New-York-…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

If you want near a park then the Upper West Side would be suitable, if you post exact days, budget in dollars and beds you need then the hotel experts will be able to help you easier.

Dormagen, Germany
Level Contributor
27 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NY with kids for Christmas & New Year

Hi RootsZoe,

Thank you very much for your reply. I read the threads abt the vacation rentals after I posted my questions:/ Seems like we will have to stick to hotels...but it shouldn't be a problem!

Thank you again and have a nice day!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NY with kids for Christmas & New Year

Also, no beach rentals would be ideal for a vacation to NYC.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NY with kids for Christmas & New Year

There are a number of apartment hotels that are legal.

Beaconhotel.com

is one of the most popular in the kid friendly area of the upper west side near Central Park, near the Museum of Natural History (dinosaurs) and near the Children's Museum. All their rooms/suites have small kitchenettes. There are some other similar hotels in other areas like

affinia.com

nycsalisbury.com

radiocityapartments.com

San Carlos Hotel

Kimberly Hotel

You'll use the subway and buses to get around.

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NY with kids for Christmas & New Year

Hi there,

I went to NYC whilst pregnant, with my husband and a 15 month old. We stayed 5 nights over New Year at the Doubletree Lexington. We had a buggy/stroller and used the underground all the time, day and evening. We never felt unsafe. The people of New York were so amazing, very friendly towards us in restaurants, in Central Park. We even got help getting up and down subway stairs a few times too. Have a great trip.

Dormagen, Germany
Level Contributor
27 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NY with kids for Christmas & New Year

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all your replies and suggestions. I will look them up and I'm sure I'll find something suitable. I've heard the the public transportation in NY and around is good, so thank you for confirming!

Have a great day!!

7. Re: NY with kids for Christmas & New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 09:47