We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear?

Tampa, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
What to wear?

Florida girl headed to NY for the first time this October. What do I wear? I'm guessing my usual Oct FL attire of shorts and flip flops is a NO.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear?

You check the weather report before you leave to decide. Chances are it will be chilly at night and you will need a jacket.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,008 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear?

You're kidding, right?

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KNYC/2012/10/1/PlannerHistory.html?dayend=31&monthend=10&yearend=2012&req_city=New+York&req_state=NY&req_statename=New+York

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear?

Most important of all is comfy shoes, trainer or walking boots as you will walk for miles.....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,360 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear?

Start with a good pair of comfortable walking shoes, a pair of pants and a jacket in your tote. You are from Florida and may require an additional layer. I don't know how you tolerate weather fluctuations, so be prepared for cold. Last year in early October we were hit by a one day snow storm. My lace up boots were soaked like little canoes!

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear?

You won't see this in any magazine, but women in New York City set their own agenda for shoes--fashion be hanged. Yes, you will see women gazing at those sassy, strappy, Jimmy Choo stilettos beckoning to them from the store window. And, yes, you'll watch them walk into the store and walk back out with a bag that obviously has one or more shoeboxes in it. But when you look down at their feet, those same women are *still* wearing the most utterly practical, sturdy shoes you can imagine. LOL! I just love it!

Bring (and wear!) your most comfortable, supportive shoes. By the tenth block, you will be glad you did.

Edited: 22 September 2012, 09:06
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear?

October can be a fickle month weatherwise. You have days that will still remind you of summer, and you will have days that seem like winter. It is best to bring layers that you can put on and off as the weather dictates.

Did anyone mention comfy shoes?

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear?

Also, flip flops are a bad idea regardless of weather. Your feet will get FILTHY from the city streets..and if you go to a restaurant with those dirty things, don't sit next to me..lol

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear?

I am glad you asked that question Tracy from Tampa. I live in Naples Florida and I to have been wondering what to wear. They don't realize that all the clothes we own are flip flops and shorts! I will be in NYC in early November and I have to buy clothes to wear, sweaters and jackets are not easily found down here! Also I am not sure why NYWhiz was so rude when he/she answered you. Have fun my Florida friend

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear?

Nywhiz is/was not rude and she is one of the most helpful, kind and sweetest posters on this forum.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,700 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear?

@#8 - nywhiz was not rude - if you check her link you'll see it is the NYC weather ...

I believe an apology to the doyen of the NYC Forum is in order...