We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving out of the city

OGDEN
Level Contributor
136 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Driving out of the city

We will be flyingh into NY to attend a wedding next June. I plan on staying in Midtown and using public transportation. But I had a thought about adding a week to our trip, renting a car and touring New England. My question is, do I rent a car in the city? Or take a train to the outshirts and rent one there? I'm terrified at the thought of driving in Manhattan. Any advice will be much appreciated

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving out of the city

There's no reason to be terrified of driving in Manhattan, but out of the city rentals may be less expensive. You do need to think about where you're returning the rental car though. Drop off charges can be high.

An alternative would be to get an open jaw ticket - to New York and then leave from an airport in New England. It will be simplest if you choose an airport that has good rail connections from New York. You have to check on flight times and prices back to Utah, but consider Hartford/Springfield (BDL), Boston Logan Airport (BOS), and Providence (PVD). You'll probably want one where you can fly both legs of the trip on the same airline, but all three of these airports would be reasonable train trips from New York and get you on your way for your New England vacation.

Boston, like New York, is a city where you don't need a car to see the major sights, so you could take the train there and only rent a car when you're ready to move on to other locations. You could then easily return the car to the Boston airport.

2. Re: Driving out of the city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 06:47