We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to around rockefeller centre.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
Things to around rockefeller centre.

Hi I am planning our itinerary for when me and my bf visit on 29.11 - 04.12 and on day 2 I habe pre-booked tickets for the rockefeller centre at 11:15am. We will spend some time on the viewing deck and looking at the xmas tree etc. Please can you help as to what other attractions/things to do there are around the centre both before and after out trip to the top of the rock?

We will be wanting to keep ourselves busy until about 5pm as we are hopefully going to go and watch the Knicks play in the evening.

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,040 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to around rockefeller centre.

There's no reason you have to keep yourselves busy in that one location for the whole day. The Knicks play at Madison Square Garden which is a different location than Rock. Ctr. anyway. The subway gets you from place to place easily and quickly.

That said, St. Patrick's cathedral is literally across the street from Rock Ctr. There's ice skating at Rock Ctr. if you want to give it a try. There's plenty of shopping both in Rock. Ctr. and around it (which Saks Fifth ave. across the street). This will also be the busiest most congested part of the city at that time and you may quite like to get out of there. ;) Bryant Park is a 10 min. walk south on Fifth ave. and also has an ice rink and a Xmas market.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to around rockefeller centre.

NBC Tour; Radio City Music Hall Tour; lots of shopping options along Fifth Ave.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to around rockefeller centre.

There are plenty places to look at /shop on Fifth Avenue. Macys is just beside Madison Square Garden so you may want to look at their window displays or go in to shop. Remember to get your discount card from the visitor center on the mezzanine floor.

Lord & Taylor is another window that gets attention.

Bryant park is a great shout. I love it at that time of year. The (free) ice rink and the stalls around there make it a lovely plae to stop off at for a browse or hot chocolate.

The subway is great, ESP when cold or wet. Very convenient. $29 for a week on subway and buses. Great deal in my opinion.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,817 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to around rockefeller centre.

One of my favorite and most unusual things to take a look at in Rockefeller Center is this beautiful sterling silver airplane made by Cartier, made in honor of some French aviators in the 30s. I discovered it many years ago quite by accident and always take visitors to see it -- here's a nice picture with the story http://newyorkdailyphoto.com/nydppress/?p=392

And I second going into St. Patricks which is magnificent

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,968 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to around rockefeller centre.

You're also only a few blocks from Central Park.

6. Re: Things to around rockefeller centre.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 05:48