We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Potted Potter

Texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Potted Potter

Has anyone seen the Potted Potter performance that just opened in NYC? My daughters are huge Potter fans, and I have read the reviews on their website as well as the reviews from Toronto here on TA. Just wondering how the NYC performance is.

Thanks!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Potted Potter

If you understand what it is and accept it for what it is then it can be fun--- My wife and daughter have tickets for next week I think. They also went to see abreviated Shakespeare.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,380 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Potted Potter

I belive it's still in previews which is why there are no reviews yet. That's not a reason not to see it now, by the way -- bimin got it exactly right, I think, and my wife and kids plan on seeing it with out of town relatives in July

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Potted Potter

We saw the show in Toronto and I agree with bilmin. Both my son and I are great Harry Potter fans. I definitely enjoyed the show, but didn't feel that I got my money's worth. My son would recommend it unconditionally, but he didn't have to pay the $90.00 per ticket (lol).

If you and your family have the opportunity to see theatre productions like The Lion King or Phantom with amazing costumes, large companies, etc when you are at home, then you may not feel the need to do so in New York. If on the other hand the show is to give your daughters the opportunity to have this experience, then this is definitely not the right choice. I would probably look at a show like Mary Poppins which will be more expensive than Potted Potter, but definitely more memorable, for their theatre experience in New York.

I believe someone once mentioned there was a site that you can check to see a short snippet of the productions, so that you have an idea of the pageantry or lack there of, if this is important to you when selecting a show for your family to see. I hope this helps but I'm sure they will enjoy themselves regardless.

Texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Potted Potter

Thanks, everyone. We already have tickets to see Wicked which I know my daughters will enjoy. I read about Potted Potter today on a daily newsletter I subscribed to last week called Now Do This Today from Time Out NY. I have really enjoyed reading their event suggestions.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Potted Potter

Oh that's wonderful. I'm sure they'll love the show.

We're going to be in Manhattan in August and were thinking of seeing Wicked but then decided to see it locally with the Broadway touring group. I hope we didn't make a mistake. Haven't decided yet what we will see while in NYC.

Texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Potted Potter

Any update to Potted Potter? Anyone out there who attended the show this week in NYC? Thanks!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,380 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Potted Potter

Got a fine review at the NY Times, "gloriously goofy" …nytimes.com/2012/06/05/theater/reviews/pott…

Texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Potted Potter

Thanks, NJ. Loved reading the comments with the article. Think I will get tickets; I am sure my twins will love it.

Berlin, Germany
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Potted Potter

Saw it on Thursday with my two kids who are huge Harry Potter fans. We got the tickets half price from the Tckts Stand in Times Square which made it more affordable. It was a fun show and had my kids in stitches. It's not in the same league as a typical Broadway Musical but then it isn't aimed to be either. We enjoyed it.

Texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Potted Potter

Thanks, Tanja. I didn't get half-price tickets, but I did get $20 off per ticket, and the seats are 12 rows back in the center orchestra. I am sure my daughters will love the production. We have not told them yet; it is going to be a surprise.