We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March 2013

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
545 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
March 2013

Forgive me if this a silly question.

I have started my research on where to stay, however is it way too early to book? Some places I've looked on have no availability on the dates 9-18 March, or is it because it's too far in advance?

Many thanks.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,093 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March 2013

I usually suggest getting something with a refundable rate at this stage in the game, so that if something happens and the good ones get taken and everthing else goes up in price -you are covered.

I'm not sure how many beds you need in your room, but here is what I am seeing as the best refundable rates for your dates on www.booking.com

5* New York Palace (For 1 or 2 beds-2-4 people) they show A REFUNDABLE RATE of 199 GBP (or $324usd) per night = 1799GBP (or $2921usd) for your total stay

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d126260-…

4* Stay Hotel (for 1 bed -2people)-on booking.com has a REFUNDABLE RATE of @95GBP per Night (154usd) total 855GBP( $1385usd) but for 4 people (2 beds at this hotel becomes too expensive for their refundable rate, but 1 bed is a deal)

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93376-R…

4* Time Hotel has a REFUNDABLE RATE (for 2 beds-4 people) -

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d112062-…

Happy planning!

Edited: 02 May 2012, 09:49
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
545 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March 2013

MTI, thank you for taking the time to respond.

We (myself and husband) will be going to celebrate my 50th, we need just 1 bed in the room.

The NY Palace looks nice, but I'm leaning towards something a little cheaper. Upon recommendation from someone I know, they suggested Affinia Shelburne, looks like a good location. I'd also been tossing up about LIC, for less money get a better room and take the subway in each day??

The choice is unbelievable!!!! So any other recommendations gratefully received. Thanks.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March 2013

What do you mean by cheaper. Tell us your budget per night in dollars, and it'll make it easier to suggest.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
545 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March 2013

Mark, ideally less than $250 per night, but then MTI's suggestion of Palace, it does look nice. I know I don't want to be on Times Square's doorstep.

GREENSBORO
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March 2013

12 year old grandson with us in NYC March 1-3? All ideas gratefully accepted!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: March 2013

Ideas about what?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,366 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: March 2013

Laurie, it's always better to start your own thread. I assume you mean you want hotel ideas. A budget per night would be helpful but I'll suggest:

Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square- all 1 bedroom suites. If grandson can sleep on the sofabed in the living room, there's a great rate of $227/night on booking.com and hotels.com if you prepay. If you want a proper bed for him, the prices for 2 full beds are much higher.

Hampton Inn Times Square North (not as close to TS but very good location) is $220/night for a room with 2 queen beds with breakfast included but you must prepay for this rate.

These are great rates, but if you'd rather not pay now (which I can certainly understand) book at the higher cancelable rates and wait to see if there are sales closer to the trip on websites like

travelzoo.com

travel-ticker.com

I found these prices by looking on

kayak.com

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: March 2013

hi

we stayed with our 13 year old son last year in march in the doubletree guest suites and will be there march1st till march 4th again. loved it! fab for families and location is excellent !

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: March 2013

my mother aged 70 and my son age 6 are going to new york in march 2013 we have booked to stay at the iroquiod in new york as one child up to the age of 12 sleeps free which we thoght was a good deal and is also on free cancellation

adrienne england london

adrienne england

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: March 2013

have booked to go to new york with my daughter and grandson age 6 years and are staying at the iroquios hotel which I thought was a good deal as one child up to the age of 12 sleeps free this also covers free cancellation

adrienne england croydon