We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

John's Pizza - why is Times Square inferior?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
John's Pizza - why is Times Square inferior?

I've seen this mentioned several times. It's the same company (go on their website and they list their locations...TS, Bleeker St. UES, etc.)...if it's the same company, same ingredients, same water, same recipes...why is the TS location sometimes dissed in reviews?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: John's Pizza - why is Times Square inferior?

Because they can get away with it. The Bleecker Street location is the original, and is mostly attended by locals. The Times Square location is mostly attended by tourists, who are high on the "New York City" experience and thus not quite as choosy as the local pizza snobs.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: John's Pizza - why is Times Square inferior?

that's funny, i like the times square one better than bleecker. i always thought bleecker was burnt. different equipment, different people manning the stations, lots of variables. happens with lots of chains that aren't just a press a button on the microwave-type preparation.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,357 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: John's Pizza - why is Times Square inferior?

"Because they can get away with it."

But get away with "what" exactly? Different ingredients? Higher prices? Smaller portions? Longer lines?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: John's Pizza - why is Times Square inferior?

If I wear a cravat can I get into a shorter line?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,417 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: John's Pizza - why is Times Square inferior?

I was led to believe it's about the oven.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: John's Pizza - why is Times Square inferior?

Now that makes some sense. My other thought was volume - I'm sure Times Square is busier than their other locations so they don't have the time to devote to a perfect product each time.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: John's Pizza - why is Times Square inferior?

My understanding is that the Bleecker St. location uses a coal burning oven, but coal burning ovens were later banned (existing ones were "grandfathered"). Thus, the Times Square location must be using a different fuel (natural gas, I imagine). It wouldn't be surprising for this difference to affect the taste.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: John's Pizza - why is Times Square inferior?

It is the sauce, the cheese and the thin crust on Bleeker Street that makes the pizza GREAT.

CH

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: John's Pizza - why is Times Square inferior?

A good coal fired oven is a key factor. Even if the ovens weren't different, pizza making isn't all about the ingredients and the recipe. It takes some finesse and attention to detail. It's not an automated process. Getting the crust the right degree of thinness, the right amount of toppings, distributing them properly, having it in the oven the right amount of time (ovens are opened and closed constantly, so it's not a matter of simply setting a timer and knowing when it's done).

Places that are extra busy can slip on the details. When it's a location like Times Square, there are few negative consequences to slipping because the one-time-visitor crowds keep coming. When it's a neighborhood place, a slip in quality is more noticeable.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: John's Pizza - why is Times Square inferior?

....all that said, it IS the ingredients (sauce, cheese and the thin crust) on Bleeker Street that makes the pizza OUTSTANDING. We have been eating it for 40+ years....and the place is always mobbed. FYI: no slices are served, only whole pies.

CH

Edited: 26 April 2012, 08:37