We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Newark from Manhattan, what is less hassle

Glasgow
Level Contributor
793 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Newark from Manhattan, what is less hassle

I think I have almost decided on the NJ train route from Penn Station over the Express Bus from Port Authority to get to Newark Airport however the swaying factor is not time it's what is less hassle for carrying bags. Please can anyone answer -

1. How easy is the NJ train for taking luggage, will I have to go up and down stairs with the suitcase or is there an elevator?

2. Can I use my 7 day subway card for the NJ train or would I have to pay the $12.50?

Thank you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,010 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Newark from Manhattan, what is less hassle

You can't use the regular Metrocard for NYC subways/buses to NJ.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,199 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Newark from Manhattan, what is less hassle

You will only have to carry bags up/down stairs if you take the subway to Penn Station. Otherwise, you can pretty much avoid it. There are elevators down to the platforms from street level to most tracks.

The situation is most times if there are hoards of people - when they call the train, you are just going to run to the nearest way down - which could be steps. But, if you wait in the waiting area where the elevators to the tracks are, you should be OK for 90% of the tracks, but not all tracks are immediately accessible from that waiting area - some are further away (this sounds a lot more complex that it is).

Once you get out of the train, it is escalators or elevators the whole way.

suitcaseready.com

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
2,927 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Newark from Manhattan, what is less hassle

I can't comment on the bus, but I've done the NJ Transit train twice. It is quick, easy, and convenient....if you don't have a lot of luggage.

I haven't noticed elevators, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. There are just so many people, moving so quickly, that the stairs and escalator seem to be the quickest and easiest solution.

The train itself is quite cramped and awkward if you have a large amount of luggage. My daughter and I could fit on one bench with our carry-ons beside us, or between our knees, but there really wasn't room for larger luggage. There are overhead racks, but they are quite small, and again awkward - there are a lot of people about too, which makes it uncomfortable.

Imagine it as boarding a plane, but you would be trying to get your luggage on as well. That's my best comparison.

My advice, if there are more than two of you, and you have more than just carry-ons, spring for the car service.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,586 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Newark from Manhattan, what is less hassle

There are elevators and escalators between the AirTrain and New Jersey Transit at Newark Airport. There are also elevators and escalators at Penn Station in New York.

California
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Newark from Manhattan, what is less hassle

I used both on our last trip. Bus from Newark and train back from Manhattan. Honestly with luggage I think the bus would be easier (and they even loaded it into the compartment for you). We couldn't find a place for our bags on the train, but luckily it wasn't crowded and used the seats across from us. We had just one carryon size rollerbag each.

I think where you're staying is important too -- is it easier to reach the bus stop or Penn station?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
793 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Newark from Manhattan, what is less hassle

Thanks Kitty55, you have made up my mind for me - bus it is. The non handling of luggage is a massive factor to us as I will be 5 1/2 mths pregnant and not wanting to carry my suitcase so poor partner will be in control of both bags so we will go with the cheapest but easiest option. We are on holiday for 3 weeks, few days in NY then down to explore Miami, Florida Keys, Orlando and then a week at AMI on the gulf coast so we have quite large suitcases, all be it they wont be full till I hit the shops in NY so on the way south they could be rather heavy! We plan to have a shot in a yellow cab to get the few blocks to either the Port Authority bus stop or Penn Stn so the distance isn't such a big deal.

7. Re: Getting to Newark from Manhattan, what is less hassle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 00:47