We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to Do For a Many Times Previous Visitor

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Things to Do For a Many Times Previous Visitor

This is our 6th trip to NYC. We are there for four days after our Caribbean cruise. We've done all the tourist things except a helicopter ride, trip to the Statue of Liberty and circle Manhattan cruise. We don't want to do them. So, have you got any 'new' ideas that we might enjoy. We went down to Money Island 20 years ago and have stayed in Jersey City a couple of times in the past, but other than that, we haven't gone outside Manhattan. We are in our late 50s and staying in midtown east at 50th street.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,432 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to Do For a Many Times Previous Visitor

I have lived here for decades and haven't done everything I want to do yet.

Why not tell us what sorts of things you like to do - museums, galleries, sports, music, etc? That will help people give you useful suggestions.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,780 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to Do For a Many Times Previous Visitor

The first thing I do when planning a trip is look to see what special exhibits are at the museums. Even if I've been to one many times this makes it different.

This trip I'm not crazy about anything, so we're doing a couple of museums we've never done before...Museum of the City of New York and the New-York Historical Society. We'll explore the parts of Central Park near these since they happen to be areas we've never been. Maybe Harlem, too, on the Mus of City of NY day. There is a recent thread with lots of good suggestions for Harlem.

We're also going to walk the High Line and explore Chelsea.

We have a couple of other days with tentative plans depending on weather.

We'll also be seeing a lot of theater.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to Do For a Many Times Previous Visitor

Haven't a clue about what you might enjoy but I live here and I'm a tour guide and I still have lots and lots of places to explore and things I want to do.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to Do For a Many Times Previous Visitor

Check out interesting neighborhoods, like Flushing Queens, Broad Channel and Rockaway Queens, Hoboken NJ, Prospect Park areas Brooklyn,Staten Island, Washington Heights and Inwood, Manhattan, Wave Hill Riverdale Bronx, City Island Bronx,etc

Atlanta
Level Contributor
72 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to Do For a Many Times Previous Visitor

We love doing walking tours. There are even free ones, ones including food, architecture, neighborhoods..a great way to learn about the city, and have some fun!! The festivals and flea markets on weekends are great..try thr Brooklyn Flea. Have you ever walked across the Brooklyn Bridge? A great experience is the Tenement Museum on the Lower East Side.

Shadow Hills, CA
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to Do For a Many Times Previous Visitor

Check out my trip report at http://www.broomsticksweeties.com. I just returned from New York, and have some ideas for you.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to Do For a Many Times Previous Visitor

EXCUSE me! HellllOOOOOOOO!? Why has no one mentioned the GREATEST THING EVER?!

OK, you always leave it up to me...

Go see THE PANORAMA OF NEW YORK at the QUEENS MUSEUM!!

This is one of my favorite things, and most under-rated attractions, in NYC. It is a scale model of NYC featuring every single building, every park, bridge, airport, beach and landmark we got.

Seriously: Every. Freakin' Building. Bring binoculars and find all the places you've been!

Photos:

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

"The Panorama occupies 9,335 square feet. It includes miniature cars, boats and an airplane landing at and taking off from La Guardia Airport. There are more than 895,000 individual wooden or plastic buildings on the model; 25,000 were custom-made to approximate major landmarks such as skyscrapers, colleges, museums and major churches."

queensmuseum.org/exhibitions/visitpanorama

Make sure you check museum hours. It's pay-what-you-wish admission at all times. More discussions here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4179878… The_Panorama_the_greatest_piece_of_New_York_art_ever-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k562274-… Panorama_of_New_York-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2825285… Queens_Panorama-

Afterwards, hop back on the #7 and have lunch in Jackson Heights:

…seriouseats.com/queens/jackson-heights/

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to Do For a Many Times Previous Visitor

Also, there are lots of great threads for repeat visitors:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4371623… My_10th_time_visiting_the_Big_Apple_see_do-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1707617… NYC_must_dos_for_the_return_visitor-

You'll see some familiar recommendations, heh-heh-heh....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
94,963 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to Do For a Many Times Previous Visitor

Where is Money Island, s'il vous plait? Am I the only one who doesn't know?? Do you mean Governor's Island?

Instead of a helicopter ride, what about a ride on the Roosevelt Island tram which is included in a Metrocard?

If you haven't done any kind of Manhattan cruise, you should do one. Goldstar.com

often has discounts and you might get ideas of other things there.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to Do For a Many Times Previous Visitor

nywhiz - LOL, I was too embarassed to ask WTH is "Money Island!"