We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midtown/Lincoln Center Hotel or Apartment

South Portland...
Level Contributor
93 posts
34 reviews
Midtown/Lincoln Center Hotel or Apartment

We will be in NYC for a week for my son's graduation. I know NYC well, since I lived there and I wanted to rent an apartment in this area as there will be 5 adults. I am having no luck what so ever on this front. Does anyone have a recommendation as to a decent hotel with kitchenettes or suites that will not cost us an excessive amount? I would like to stay above 50th street and west of 6th Avenue.

Just a note- I have tried Sublet.com and VRBO for apartments

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,304 Reviews
from US$ 89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$ 175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
556 Reviews
from US$ 34.00*
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
1. Re: Midtown/Lincoln Center Hotel or Apartment

There are apartment style hotels recommended here on a regular basis. A few I can think of off the top of my head are

Radio City Apartments

Beacon

Affinia Group

"Just a note- I have tried Sublet.com and VRBO for apartments"

Lucky for you that you didn't find anything...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

Edited: 23 March 2011, 18:59
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,04,533 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Midtown/Lincoln Center Hotel or Apartment

Perhaps you don't realize private apt. rentals in NYC for less than 30 days are generally banned by most condo/coop buildings and not allowed in most rentals now. Those renting them out are doing so against the rules of both city and building. You should also realize most apts. are not large so finding one to sleep 5 adults is going to be a challenge AND at graduation time???

Beaconhotel.com

nycsalisbury.com

both have a few 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suites but you have to contact the hotels directly by phone or email to book these. The Affinia group has some 2 bedroom suites but none in the area you want. The Wellington hotel may have some but I don't really recommend it (very basic budget place).

The Manhattan Club is a timeshare not far from Columbus Circle that may have some units that will sleep 5 but it's not getting great reviews lately. The Hilton Club is another possibilty but I don't know how large their units are or how good. I suggest you consider splitting up in smaller units.

South Portland...
Level Contributor
93 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Midtown/Lincoln Center Hotel or Apartment

Thanks since that is a new development. I have rented apartments in NYC, mostly Upper Westside and the Village for years but not in the last year or so. Makes me wish we had not given up the apartment we had. The Beacon looks nice but I would prefer something closer to CPS, Salisbury is booked. Had a friend who stayed at the Wellington once- looking for a little nicer. Any suggestions on any hotel in the are would be great.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,04,533 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Midtown/Lincoln Center Hotel or Apartment

The hotels in that area are:

Hampton Inn Times Square North on 8th ave & ~ 51st st. one of the few hotels that have rooms with 2 queen beds

Michelango on 51 st & 7th good sized rooms but no double bedded rooms

The Warwick on 54th & 6th has some family suites

The NY Hilton has some suites

The Empire & 6 Columbus are boutique hotels that are nice but smallish rooms. The Hudson is another with infamously small rooms.

There are some b & b's on the UWS that are like apts.

jacksbandb.com

countryinnthecity.com

innnewyorkcity.com

www.wymanhouse.com

The Newton up in the 90's is prob. further than you want to be and has some family rooms.

If you map a location on

maps.google.com

and then click on search nearby and type hotels, you'll see what's around.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Midtown/Lincoln Center Hotel or Apartment

nmballetmom

You may have stayed in apartments then but they were just as illegal then as now--- the new law coming in May only adds more teeth to the law and more definition but the rules about renting out apartments are not at all new. You and the people who rented to you just did not get caught. It may seem like a big deal here on TA but in reality it is rarely discussed by the vast majority of people living here.

6. Re: Midtown/Lincoln Center Hotel or Apartment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 17:48