We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much spending money do you need for a week in New Yok?

Barcelona, Spain
2 posts
Save Topic
How much spending money do you need for a week in New Yok?

Hi! Im going to new york city on april and wanted to know how much spendig money do i need for a week. I want to see all the tourist places, from the empire state to museums. I also want to see a broadway show, have dinner in a good restaurant some days, party with my friends and some shopping. I have a friend who lives there so i dont need accomodations expenses. How much money do you think i should need for doing all this? Taking in consideration transportation and snacks during the day.

Thanks!!

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much spending money do you need for a week in New Yok?

You can take advantage of fine dining at lunch time for less (here are some great examples)-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23075-Best_NYC…

When traveling I usually think around $100 pp for meals shopping etc...

Somedays are less some days are more, but with cards it is easy to cover when you go over.

here is an easy must do list to pick from-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Most_Com…

and some other places to eat that are less expensive

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23076-Cheap_Ea…

and for night life-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i22937-NYC_nigh…

Enjoy!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,279 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much spending money do you need for a week in New Yok?

I would say $200 per day. Of course you can do with less or with more; the better question is, how much do you want to spend?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much spending money do you need for a week in New Yok?

You can spend as much or as little as you want. This is like asking how long is a piece of string. A theater ticket full price can cost $150+ but you can also get discount tickets for $45-85. We have no idea what you plan to shop for. Since you have a friend who lives here, it would make sense to ask your friend. ;) He/she will know better what kind of places you'll be going to and what they cost. I hope you're not planning on walking around with a lot of cash so bring a credit card or load up a prepaid card with more than you think you'll need.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much spending money do you need for a week in New Yok?

The best way to figure this out is to sit down and make a list of all the places you want to visit, look up their websites online to get the admission costs and then add them up. Same for Broadway shows, etc - all the information about prices is online already, you just have to look for it. As for food, snacks, etc, it really depends on what you're after. Breakfast in New York can be a bagel and a coffee for a few dollars or a fancy champagne brunch for $100. Dinner is probably even more diverse, depending on how much you're willing to spend, whether you have alcohol, etc.

As a rough estimate when my husband and I went to New York for 8 days we brought around $1,500 and that covered everything like admission to tourist attractions, a couple of shows, food, drink, subway, etc. Sometimes we stayed cheap and cheerful for food and snacks and other times we went a little more upmarket. We had practically nothing left at the end of our trip.

So I would say BrooklynBrdge is right to say $200 a day as a conservative estimate but the only way you'll be guaranteed to have enough for you is to do the research and the maths, sorry!

5. Re: How much spending money do you need for a week in New Yok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 08:48