We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what can i do in 6 hour layover in JFK?

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
what can i do in 6 hour layover in JFK?

Hi.

I'm flying SJU to LHR landing at 14.00 and flying to LHR at 21.25 on a Saturday. It seems like an obvious queston but what is the best to do/see in that time considering i have to get from JFK to manhatten and back? also what other than cab is the quickest easiest way there also considering i can get lost in my own back yard and i'm nervous in cities.

many thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what can i do in 6 hour layover in JFK?

Hey travelwitch2012:-) Given that it's a bit over 5 hours, would not attempt a trek into the City..but that's me..I'd stay put;-) Enjoy!

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what can i do in 6 hour layover in JFK?

I agree. Especially since its an international flight, I wouldn't risk it. Stay at the airport.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what can i do in 6 hour layover in JFK?

Sorry, but I'm the third one who thinks this is not quite enough time to leave the airport.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: what can i do in 6 hour layover in JFK?

Read a book!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: what can i do in 6 hour layover in JFK?

*** what can i do in 6 hour layover in JFK? ***

Six hour layover ..... "Ouch" ! But on the bright side, this may be the perfect opportunity to maybe take up an environmentally friendly hobby with that extra spare time. In that vain, might I suggest this helpful weblink with a half dozen helpful uses for empty egg cartons?

frugaldad.com/2008/…

And c'mon, who doesn't like a good egg carton project? Or ..... or ..... just a thought ..... save those empty egg cartons and re-use them with your own eggs. Hey ..... you see where I'm going with this one?

irvinehousingblog.com/images/uploads/01%20Po…

Edited: 13 August 2010, 21:01
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,245 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what can i do in 6 hour layover in JFK?

OK - Ill be the contrarian here. Will you have your luggage checked through and your boarding pass for the LHR leg? If so, you really need to be back in the airport at 19.25. That leaves 5.5 hours if your flight from San Juan is on time.

You dont have time to go into Manhattan, but you could take the Airtrain to Jamaica and pick up the E train to say, Roosevelt Ave in Jackson Heights and have some great Indian or Central/South American food and walk around for a couple of hours. Just ask the station attendant if the subway is making all stops before you go through the turnstiles. On weekends they tend to skip stops and I dont want to suggest you go somewhere that you cant get to because its a weekend. I cant imagine the train ever skipping such a major stop, but theyve been doing work on that line, so its worth checking.

If you do this, you have to figure at least an hour each way on the train/Airtrain for potential delays, even though it wont take that long.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,439 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what can i do in 6 hour layover in JFK?

Airlines all have different check in times - most, for an international flight, want you there three hours before the flight - though many people skirt that: I've seen them as they come running through and need to get to the front of the security line because they didn't realize lines to check in and security lines can take a huge amount of time.

Some airlines close off their check in time 45 minutes (some differ as to how long) before the flight. If you arrive 30 minutes before the flight, they won't check you in.

If you decide to hang out at JFK, I recommend taking the air train (which goes from terminal to terminal) to the JetBlue Terminal. They have some really nice restaurants and free WiFi, in case you have your computer with you.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,938 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what can i do in 6 hour layover in JFK?

Take a short subway ride and a longer walk here and contemplate geese and airplanes:

http://www.nyharborparks.org/visit/jaba.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,245 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what can i do in 6 hour layover in JFK?

The airlines changed their suggested check in times after 9/11 due to increased security. Since then, there has been 1 scare after another, and a major economic collapse, and the lines dont seem to be as long as they were expecting.

IMO (and Im flying pretty much monthly) its not necessary. If I have my boarding pass, I usually get there 1 hour before a domestic flight and 2 hours before an international flight, unless Im flying out of LGA on a Friday - then I leave an extra 1/2 hour. I have never had to run or beg people to let me cut in front of them in line - in fact, usually Im sitting around for an hour and 45 minutes in the club.

The OP is talking about Saturday night, when air travel is probably at its lowest

Edited: 13 August 2010, 23:31
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what can i do in 6 hour layover in JFK?

Stay put. First of all, when you leave SJU, make sure your bags are checked thru to LHR and that you do NOT have to collect them at JFK.

landing 14:00---likely closer to 14:30-14:45 before you get into Terminal. You will likely have to CHANGE terminals (use free airtrain that stays within airport, keeping in mind that you may have to make a complete loop of the airport to get to a terminal next door.

I believe you need to check in 2 hours before international flight. that's 19.25. so that leaves you with a max of about 4.5 hours....Find a good spot in your departure terminal.

Here's the link to JFK: Find your departure terminal and see what's available.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk.html

You will find the air train under ground transportation.