We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Radio City Christmas show with young children?

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
301 posts
36 reviews
Radio City Christmas show with young children?

Hello- I have never been to the Radio City Spectacular before, is it bad etiquette to bring a 2 year old? I am definitely one of those people that would get annoyed if someone's 2 year old was crying during a show so I want to make perfectly sure its going to be OK before I even attempt to bring my son. Are weekday shows less crowded?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,288 Reviews
from US$ 89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$ 175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
554 Reviews
from US$ 34.00*
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Radio City Christmas show with young children?

If your child cries in a theater, you should not be at all surprised if the management asks you to leave (assuming you did not get up and leave immediately yourself) -- after all, this is not church or some other activity that people engage in for free: your fellow audience members paid for an experience that was not supposed to include a disruptive audience member.

A better question would be "can a two-year-old appreciate and enjoy a stage show"? Will he know what he is supposed to be looking at? Can he sit still that long? Or would being confined to a seat for the length of a show in a huge auditorium -- for you can't easily get up, and you certainly can't walk or run around -- be tedious and unpleasant for him?

Most two-year-olds that I know would find the experience difficult rather than enjoyable; you may want to wait a year (or even three years!) before you try taking him to a show.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
2. Re: Radio City Christmas show with young children?

DO NOT bring your 2-year old to the Radio City Spectacular.

You answered your own question when you stated you would be annoyed at a child crying.

Use common sense, an endangered species these days, leave the child with a sitter, PLEASE!!

Weekday, weekend - this production is traditionally Sold Out.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
3. Re: Radio City Christmas show with young children?

Just wanted to 'bump' this up in hope that parents unsure of bringing very young children to events that they would not understand is both unfair to the child as it is to patrons who have paid good money for the pleasure of watching any performance.

Invest in a sitter or other care-giver and make everyone happy!!!!.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
301 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Radio City Christmas show with young children?

Hey thanks for the info- trust me, I love my kids and all, but I feel exactly the same way about kids at an event that people pay alot of money for. I have never been to the show and have no idea if it is geared toward children or adults, or both. Thanks for the info... I'll definitely wait a few years.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
5. Re: Radio City Christmas show with young children?

Thank You!

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
301 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: Radio City Christmas show with young children?

BTW, Poppa, no offense, but I am not exactly sure I appreciate your 'tone' here... Common sense is not an endangered species in our house, which is why I ASKED before purchasing any tickets. Like I said, I have never seen the show before.

If you were referring to the other parents in this world who do not understand the meaning of "leave your children at home" then please accept my apologies.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
7. Re: Radio City Christmas show with young children?

MissP - sorry if my 'tone' seemed offensive.

I certainly do appreciate and commend you for asking advice before getting your tickets.

I was referring to parents with absolutely no common sense or common courtesy when it comes to this sort of thing.

This past July, my wife and I spent a week in Bermuda at a VERY expensive resort. Our first evening in the dining room was punctuated by a 1.5 year old screaming and parents/grandparents trying to calm him down.

This went on for quite a while until someone complained.

Then the management and these guests had a very nasty encounter.

So, I was just thinking about that when I wrote my response.

I too am a parent and along with my wife we never took our children to a place where they would upset others, common sense and courtesy being foremost.

Hope you enjoy the show.

Dublin
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Radio City Christmas show with young children?

Hi there,

You seem to have gotten a bit of an earful there. I went last year with my then 9 year old daughter and 5 year old son, having left my hubbie with our youngest, who was just 2 then, and to be honest, it was nearly too much for the 5 year old. He was very good and he sat still and all that, but I'd say if he saw it this year he would even appreciate it more. There were lots of babies there when we went, which was Xmas Eve last Xmas, but the parents were going in and out with them so I wouldn't say they even got to relax. Hope this helps.