We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shade at Yankee Stadium?

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Shade at Yankee Stadium?

Our family will be attending a day game on July 21st. Before we purchase our tickets, I wanted to ask if there any seating sections that will be in the shade?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shade at Yankee Stadium?

You are speaking of a day game. which starts at 1 PM.

1 PM, in daylight savings time, is noon in true time.

At true noon in the northern hemisphere (including in California....), the sun is due south.

Yankee Stadium, like most baseball fields, has home plate at the west, first base at the south, third base at the north, and second base and theoutfield at the east.

When the sun is due south, shadows fall to the north.

This means that the portions of the stadium to the south, and then to the southwest (that is, the parts near first base line) will be in increasing shade as the afternoon progresses.

This is true in all classcally oriented baseball stadia everywhere in the Northern Hemisphere, and has been true for more than a century..

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shade at Yankee Stadium?

I never knew the bases were dictated by the quarters of the compass!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shade at Yankee Stadium?

There are indeed sections of Yankee Stadium under the shade. It is a three tier stadium, and sitting in the rear sections of tier one or tier two or tier three would have you in the shade. Above all, do not sit in the bleachers as they are metal benches and absolutely unprotected.

Several years ago, I attended the Estado de Guanajuato baseball championships. Seats were 15 pesos sol [sun] or 20 pesos sombra [shade]. I paid the 20. [about $2]

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
700 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shade at Yankee Stadium?

I guess I can be excused for not knowing this, since "my" home stadium (Coors Field) is apparently not a "classic" stadium. (Home plate is in the South corner.)

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shade at Yankee Stadium?

"" I never knew the bases were dictated by the quarters of the compass!"

In order for the batters not to have sun in their eyes, most stadia have the batters box on the southern end of the field, or se or sw, facing away from the sun. With the high stands surrounding the field this assures thst no sun goes directly into the hitter's eyes.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
10,217 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shade at Yankee Stadium?

The classical orientation of baseball stadiums is why left-handed pitchers are called "southpaws." Their left arm is indeed facing south.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shade at Yankee Stadium?

Thank you all for your help.

8. Re: Shade at Yankee Stadium?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2010, 12:45