We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay outside NYC

cleveland, oh
Level Contributor
652 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay outside NYC

I believe Secaucus, NJ might be a good place to stay to visit NYC without paying top dollar for hotels as I would if I would stay in Manhattan.

Can someone suggest which hotel/hotels, in Secaucus might be good, for their accomadations and access to transportaton to get into NYC?

Would there be another good area on the outskirts to stay while visiting NYC?

Thank you for the suggestions.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,246 Reviews
from US$ 89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$ 175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
552 Reviews
from US$ 34.00*
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay outside NYC

This might be helpful:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1338069…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay outside NYC

A guide put together by a former poster:

http://broadwayfocus.com/nj_nyc/nj_nyc.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,04,049 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay outside NYC

The best place(s) to stay outside Manhattan are connected by a train, not a bus. I think most of the hotels in Secaucus require you take a bus which is subject to terrible traffic.

On the NJ side, there are a bunch of hotels in Jersey City and Hoboken that are near a PATH train station (but be careful because not all of them are). On the Queens side, there are some hotels in Long Island City that are near a subway stop.

Some of the best options:

Hampton Inn Riverwalk, Harrison NJ

Hyatt Jersey City

Westin Jersey City

Doubletree Club Jersey City

W Hoboken

Some of these are sometimes available on Hotwire or with Priceline. If you don't know about those,

betterbidding.com

is a good website to check.

In Long Island City, the Country Inn & Suites has been hugely popular. Benefit of LIC is it's part of the NYC transit system whereas the NJ PATH is not.

If you're driving and are prepared to use your car to get in and out of Manhattan, there are more options like the Holiday Inn Ft. Lee, NJ.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay outside NYC

I want to reiterate what whiz said:

There are five boroughs (counties) that make up New York City, and Manhattan is only one of them. The other four are The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island.

There are very good lodging options in Queens and Brooklyn neighborhoods that get discussed here frequently, specifically Long Island City and Sunnyside in Queens, and Park Slope, Carroll Gardens and Downtown Brooklyn, in Brooklyn.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay outside NYC

If I were coming to NYC as an infrequent visitor wanting to get the feel and vibe of the City - I would research a time when I could get an affordable hotel rate and stay IN THE CITY,

Why go to a destination and spend half your touring time commuting - this is silly when there are other reasonable alternatives.

In the late 1990's and early 2000's my son lived in Jersey and I used to stay with him and I found it a real drag commuting that short distance and not having the convenience of a hotel room to grab a quick rest or drop off purchases.

Poppa

Edited: 27 March 2010, 01:46
Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay outside NYC

meant to say my son lived in Jersey City!!!!

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay outside NYC

Try to stay in Manhattan.

You are visiting NYC, not the public transportation system.

It will be a better NYC experience for you !!!

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay outside NYC

This statement says it all to me:

>>>>>>You are visiting NYC, not the public transportation system.<<<<<

Be wise and do as Urban and I suggest!!!!!!

cleveland, oh
Level Contributor
652 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay outside NYC

Thank you for all the suggestions on where to stay. I would stay in Manhattan if I didn't have other travel plans throughout the year. Want to be budget minded for NYC only because I will be traveling to Peru, Panama, Costa Rica and Las Vegas on other trips.

kingston, ont
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay outside NYC

I've stayed in Jersey City 5 or six times and in Secaucus twice and commuted in. Secaucus was great, the commute was so easy and the hotel rooms were cheap but big and clean and newish. The Hampton Inn is fabulous with a complementary breakfast. Loved everything about the hotel and we caught the bus across the street for a 15-20 minute commute into Manhattan.