We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days in New York - suggested itinerary please

Australia
Level Contributor
242 posts
62 reviews
29 helpful votes
10 Days in New York - suggested itinerary please
Save

Hi we are planning on 10 nights in New York City in June 2010. There will be 4 of us. I've seen a few itineraries on trip advisor but I couldn't find anything for over 3 days. Does anyone have any suggestions for 7 or 8 day itinerary? The other couple of days we can figure out ourselves or just take it as it comes. Any suggestions would be appreciated for the itinerary. We will be staying at the library hotel in Manhattan. We'd like to see a broadway show, maybe an NBA game? not sure if season will be over by then?, explore central park, brooklyn, harlem, chelsea, meatpacking district, walking tours. Really like to see as much as possible while we're there. Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
63 reviews
171 helpful votes
1. Re: 10 Days in New York - suggested itinerary please
Save

Bobalo,

Great hotel, great location, great time of year to visit. No NBA, but WNBA.

10 days, well, even I as native and lover of NYC will tell you that if this is your first trip to this part of the World, you could and will probably enjoy seeing the countryside, another City or area, the beaches, take a real nice drive, and give yourself an extra treat., like two vacations for the effort of 1.

Six to seven days will give you a great exposure to NYC, unless you are a student of art, theater, museums, subways, sports where your time will be consumed by your interest.

Have a great visit !!!.

New York
Level Contributor
50,290 posts
2. Re: 10 Days in New York - suggested itinerary please
Save

With ten days, you will have the luxury of time to take the better part of a day and go to Coney Island and Brighton Beach; a day or so to Fire Island, where you don't need a car and it is not far from the city; a day at the Bronx zoo and Bronx Botanical Gardens; a day train trip up the Hudson River to Cold Spring or other location where you can visit some historic spots.

It all depends on what you all are interested in - you could spend the time doing nothing but museums - so, maybe you could say what interests you and people could offer more suggestions.

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
11 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: 10 Days in New York - suggested itinerary please
Save

Perhaps a day tour up the Hudson to FDR's home and then back to the

city. Otherwise a day at the baseball park and lots of walking in

different neighborhoods.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,10,158 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
4. Re: 10 Days in New York - suggested itinerary please
Save

Have each person in your family make a list of the 5 things they absolutely HAVE to do. Then put the lists together and start organizing your OWN itinerary. If you really have to have a pre existing itin. look around the internet. I think Frommers, Fodors and maybe Time Out NY have some. Here's a link to some interesting info on museums from Time our.

http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/museums/76916/guided-museum-tours-in-new-york-city

It would be helpful to know the ages of the family members for recos on shows etc. If you've never been to NYC before, you might want to do an overview tour on the first full day.

realnewyorktours.com

uses subway and walking

kingofnyc.com

uses a bus and the Grayline hop on/off tours are probably the most popular.

accomplicenewyork.com

has been very popular as has

asliceofbrooklyn.com

foodsofnyc.com

goldstar.com

gets lots of discounts closer to your trip.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
17 reviews
45 helpful votes
5. Re: 10 Days in New York - suggested itinerary please
Save

I am not a big fan of those pre-packaged minute by minute itineraries. I feel that they encourage just checking off the boxes, rather than actually experiencing the city. Plus, there will be things that come up, places you want to go back to, and of course - weather.

Rather than a 10 day itinerary, I would rather have a loose outline of places that you want to see, and things that you want to do. These can include the usual tourist stuff like the Top of the Rock, Broadway, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, Staten Island Ferry, St. Pauls Chapel and WTC Site, MOMA, the MET, the Whitney, The Museum of Sex? Of course there are stores like Macy's or for those dreamers Tiffany's. Did I mention restaurants. Take two or three items on your list and build a day around them.

June is a wonderful month to visit as the weather is beautiful. There are also seasonal things that would be so worth doing. Head to Zabars and get a picnic lunch; sit under a tree and eat in Central Park. Take the subway to Coney Island and ride the Cyclone and the Wonderwheel. You can get a hot dog at Nathans, or walk up the boardwalk to visit nearby Brighton Beach where you can get a great Russian Meal. Basketball will be long over, but you can enjoy a game, day or night are both fun at Yankee Stadium [or Citi Field if you like losers]. Did you know that you can take do kayaking for free in the Hudson River? Check out the NY Downtown Boat Club for details. How about going to Northern Manhattan and wandering around the mideval monestary at the Cloisters where you can also enjoy beautiful views.

The thing that keeps bringing people back to New York for many visits is not the tourist sites, but the neighborhoods. Having ten days to explore, lets you discover these amazing places. Some recommended neighborhoods incude SOHO, Greenwich Village, the East Village and Chinatown in Manhattan. Jackson Heights [NYCs most diverse neighborhood] or Main street Flushing [Asian food heaven] in Queens. Or the Belmont Section in the Bronx [NYs real Little Italy].

I've saved Brooklyn for last. My friend M4RK came over last week and didn't even set foot in Manhattan for 4 days. Some of the best neighborhoods to visit are located in Brooklyn - the most populous boro. Right across the Brooklyn Bridge is DUMBO and Brooklyn Heights. Check out the view from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade after dark. Park Slope is a great place to walk, and is right by Grand Army Plaza, Prospect Park, the Botanic Gardens [amazing in June] and the Brooklyn Museum. Take a walk along funky Atlantic Avenue. Visit Williamsburg - especially after dark when it really starts to pop.

I know that ten days seems like a long time, but you will be able to find things to do every day. Make sure to pick up a copy of NY Time Out when you get here, as there are just tons of listings for music, theater, art and events. For many folks, the best thing to do in NYC is just walking around, taking in the scene, and talking to the locals.

new york city
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: 10 Days in New York - suggested itinerary please
Save

First..sign up at www.bigapplegreeter.org for a free walking tour..if you are lucky enough to get a guide ,you will be well rewarded.

All of the previous suggestions are well intentioned and informative.

Bring a guide book and discover your own new york at your own pace.

Venture over to Brooklyn , Queens and Bronx to sample different neighborhoods.

Take the D/B/Q/F trains to Coney Island /Brighton Beach or Sheepshead Bay areas..

Take the L train to Bedford Ave and walk Williamsburgh section as previously suggested.

You may also get to the Bronx Zoo or Botanical gardens via Grand Central Station Metro North trains..once there, try to visit Arthur Avenue and it's host of great Italian restaurants..it's located in the Belmont section of Bronx.

Take the #7 train to Roosevelt Ave or Flushing and discover Indian or Chinese/asian restaurants galore..

There's so much to see and do..you will find your own nyc with guidebook in hand and tripadvisor suggestions. Welcome to NYC

Edited: 11 years ago
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20,415 posts
95 reviews
64 helpful votes
7. Re: 10 Days in New York - suggested itinerary please
Save

Just want to point out a misnomer. Momcat - It's the New York Botanical Garden, not the Bronx: Link:

http://www.nybg.org/visit/directions.php

This one is not to be confused with our other fabulous botanic (yes, sans the "al") garden, the one in Brooklyn:

http://www.bbg.org/

You will love either one or both. GREAT time of year to go!

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
13 helpful votes
8. Re: 10 Days in New York - suggested itinerary please
Save

Not sure if you've made your hotel arrangements yet....

We visited for 10 days last October and we spent 6 days at one hotel and switched hotels for the remaining 4 days.

Great to experience the different neighborhoods.

Ohio
Level Contributor
10,249 posts
26 reviews
16 helpful votes
9. Re: 10 Days in New York - suggested itinerary please
Save

You might also enjoy an evening of minor league baseball. The Brooklyn Cyclones stadium is on the Coney Island boardwalk and the Staten Island Yankees stadium has a wonderful view of Manhattan. Minor league games are far less expensive than the pro games and a heck of a lot of fun. Last July, we took the subway to Brighton Beach and explored than headed down the boardwalk to the stadium. We stopped at Nathan's and had a couple of hot dogs, wandered out onto the fishing pier, and then went to the game. This year, we're looking forward to taking the Staten Island ferry over to a Staten Island Yankees game.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
85 reviews
107 helpful votes
10. Re: 10 Days in New York - suggested itinerary please
Save

A couple of good planning resources are

1. The City Walks New York card set - 50 cards which provide a self guided walking tour of different areas.

2. DK Eyewitness Travel's 'Top 10' New York City version.

These really helped us to figure what sites were essential visiting and also sites which weren't initially on our radar.

My trip report is here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3429982-Golly_Gosh_My_Goodness_My_Feet_Hurt_Trip_Report_Again-New_York_City_New_York.html

PS love your pooches.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.