We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking at muni meters--maximum time?

Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
parking at muni meters--maximum time?

Hi all,

First off, I was born and raised in Greenwich Village, so I'm almost embarrassed to be asking a question about the city here :) But then again, as a true New Yorker, I never had a car, so I never bothered learning anything about parking!

But times have changed. I live in Canada now, and will be returning to the NYC area, with my wife, to house-sit for my brother-in-law in Westchester (unfortunately, too far away to be able to cost-effectively take Metro-North into town). My parents still live in the Village, and I'll want to drive down to see them pretty much every day, for a week. I'll probably get there in the late morning, and then I have to return to Westchester in late afternoon/early evening each day.

What's the best deal in terms of parking? I see there are these new Muni Meters in our area....what's the maximum time limit that I can park in a Muni Meter area on the street? How many hours?

For that matter, what's the maximum time limit at a regular parking meter spot?

And....is there any better (cheaper) way to do this? Would a parking garage make more sense?

I'm willing to park anywhere in Manhattan or downtown Brooklyn, really, since I'll just be hopping the subway from wherever I park, if it's not close enough to the Village to walk.

Thanks for any help!

Edited: 14 December 2009, 20:43
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: parking at muni meters--maximum time?

Are you near the train in Westchester - may be a better bet than driving in every day?

Just a thought.

Poppa

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking at muni meters--maximum time?

It actually varies from place to place and the time limits are posted on the machine you get the tickets from or on other signs and the meters. Usually it is an hour or two in heavy traffic areas and more in lower traffic areas.. Since you know the city I would tell you to either go on www.bestparking.com and see if you can find a cheap garage from where you could take the subway or drive over to Brooklyn Heights and find parking on the streets where you can leave it all day being mindful of the parking signs but that would be free and then a short subway to the village. I live in Brooklyn Heights and it can be a challenge but if you are not going to be overnight I think you could find a space every day.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: parking at muni meters--maximum time?

Welcome back,

Every muni meter has different time restrictions, different for residential areas, school and hospital areas and commercial areas, so you have to be careful. Other than trying alternate side parking, you may be better off with Poppa's idea to rr in, or drive to parts of the Bronx, street park and subway in, or pick your days of driving and put it in a lot.

Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking at muni meters--maximum time?

Poppa, sorry, maybe you posted your reply before I edited my post to clarify: I'm near a Metro North station, but it'd be about $28 round trip for my wife and I to come to Grand Central--not including subway fare for both of us to get to/from Grand Central to my old apartment building in the Village. And that's assuming off-peak travel...we may wind up doing peak travel :( my luck...

As for parking in downtown Brooklyn on the street...that'd be fine by me. How long can one stay on the street in a spot? Is it unlimited?

Edited: 14 December 2009, 20:59
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: parking at muni meters--maximum time?

Did not see the reference to MNorth in your post - it was just a thought - did not know the cost - I certainly understand your point!

Good luck.

Poppa

Edited: 14 December 2009, 21:03
Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: parking at muni meters--maximum time?

Yes, I went back and edited it, surely after you posted :) my bad, sorry.

Actually, in looking at the NYC parking garage rates, Metro North might be somewhat competitive, when gas and tolls are figured in. It wouldn't be competitive over a long run, but for a week, it's close enough that I'd consider it.

Still, for a week, I'd rather drive in if I can rather than take the train....

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: parking at muni meters--maximum time?

The streets in Brooklyn Heights are restricted only one day for a few hours. and they usually fall into Tuesday- 9:30-11:00 Wednesday 9:30-11:00 or Thursday 9:30-11:00 and the days that apply to each street are clearly posted.

Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: parking at muni meters--maximum time?

Hi....sorry, can you clarify that? (remember, I'm a parking ignoramus :)

Are you saying that parking in Bklyn Heights is unlimited on any given day, EXCEPT possibly for the days you mentioned? And the hours there, is that 9am to 11am, 9am to 11pm?.....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
94,470 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: parking at muni meters--maximum time?

I think the time wasted looking for a parking spot and then having to feed the meter, not to mention the aggro of driving from Westchester makes no sense. Even if you could manage to find parking that only costs $10/day you'll likely spend more than $18/day on gas and tolls to make the train fare start looking very good. Spend the $28 for metro north and ride in comfort without worrying about traffic. Buy a 7 day unlimited metrocard for getting around in Manhattan.

If you want to drive on certain days, look at

bestparking.com

for deals. You can find parking in a regular garage for $15 for the day if you arrive before 11 am.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: parking at muni meters--maximum time?

now each street is different but the restrictions would be 9:30- 11:00 am on a particular day and the rest of the week it is unlimited.... I would also extend that into Cobble Hill which starts on the other side of Atlantic Ave.... It depends on what time of day you arrive as to the best place but a few laps around the block and you probably can find a spot.... Some place like State Street is no parking all day Wednesday until 6pm but then during those hours there is parking all day on the other side of the street... I know the area well obviously since I live there and I know when I am looking what streets to go on but it usually takes me no more than 20 minutes to find a space that is good for at least a few days if not the full week.