We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest exchange in NYC? - I have to buy Euros.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheapest exchange in NYC? - I have to buy Euros.

I know, I know, wait until I get to Europe and use the ATMs.

Failing that (because there is a limit on how much you can take out in one day -- I believe it's either 250 or 350 Euros), can anyone recommend a foreign exchange or bank in NYC to get a reasonable price on Euros?

The B&B in Italy that I'm staying in wants a full week up front on the night I arrive. I can take the max out using the bancomat on the first day, but I'll need a lot more than that.

They don't take traveler's checks since the American Express office closed(!).

I hate Citibank - I think they're thieves. Any place else? (My bank does not do foreign exchange.)

Thank you!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest exchange in NYC? - I have to buy Euros.

I think most rates you'll find are nearly the same, since the prices are set by the currency markets, not by the individual vendors. I've always used the AmEx Travel Service exchange (there's one on Park Avenue South near 23rd, one of Park near 53rd, one in the World Financial Center, and probably a couple others), but if you don't have an AmEx card, there might be a fee.

Just out of curiosity, is the daily limit you mention from your bank? If so, can you ask them bump it up?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,375 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest exchange in NYC? - I have to buy Euros.

Carol mentions a place here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2784859…

New York, NY
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest exchange in NYC? - I have to buy Euros.

Thanks so much, everybody!

I'll check them out. I'm very close to Amex on Park/53 and it wouldn't be hard to also check out A&S Foreign Exchange at 148 West 32nd, just off 7th.

Much appreciated!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest exchange in NYC? - I have to buy Euros.

I don't know what city in Italy you are flying into but you really should use an ATM and you should establish an account with TD Bank (formerly Commerce) in the city.... There are no ATM fees of any kind on ATM's in Italy and TD Bank charges none on this end.

There are ATM's in every airport and it is not the ATM's that establish a max withdrawal it is your bank and you can sit down with them before your trip and set that up within reason---- I just came back and I think my limit was 750 euro per day. No one uses traveler's checks any more... If you need to bring Euro with you I would also get them from TD Bank

New York, NY
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest exchange in NYC? - I have to buy Euros.

Such great advice! A&S Foreign Exchange is selling Euros at $1.44 today. Amex is selling them at $1.523.

I will see if I can get my bank to up the limit, also.

Thank you, everyone!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest exchange in NYC? - I have to buy Euros.

More important than the limit is the fees that they will charge you for foreign atm withdrawal---- Citibank, HSBC and Chase are very high--- was at one point up to 4% so on a few thousand dollars you will be paying $80 versus 0 with a bank with no fees... Go through all the scenarios with them and see what they say.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest exchange in NYC? - I have to buy Euros.

Yes, all the megabanks are thieves, especially those like Citi and Chase. I would never have a bank account with them! Thanks for reminding me about the fees. Last time my baby bank didn't charge me much, but now they've merged with another mid-sized bank, so it's good to know to ask!

Thanks again all!

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest exchange in NYC? - I have to buy Euros.

The limit from the ATM's are not set just by your bank but it is a limit set by the banks in Europe that one can take out at each time...ie...if you bank in the states has a $500. limit then you go to the ATM 2 times for their 250 Euro limit....nd basically they don't have fees the fees ar set by your bank...but each ATM is different as is each bank...just remembeer to tell your bank that you will be traveling in Italy so they don't block it..

New York, NY
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest exchange in NYC? - I have to buy Euros.

Since I just happen to be going to Venice, do you have any suggestions for bancomats in Cannareggio (or elsewhere) that will allow large withdrawls and without hefty charges? : ) Thanks!

10. Re: Cheapest exchange in NYC? - I have to buy Euros.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2010, 12:57