We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation near a good pub

England
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
accommodation near a good pub

Hi I'm planning on going to NY for my 50th with my partner, brother and his girlfriend. Last time there we stayed in the Millenium Hilton which was great but a bit too far from everything so having started trawling the web sites I though I'd ask for recommended sites. Don't want to pay too much 'cause I know I won't be in the room much but want to be able to walk to a good (Irish?) pub in the evening to chill out. Struggling to decide which would be the best area to base myself in. Just looking for some general get me started advice and then I can get more specific later. Any help greatly appreciated.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,043 posts
1. Re: accommodation near a good pub

>>Millenium Hilton which was great but a bit too far from everything<<

What's 'everything' - the subway makes NYC qute accessible.

What are you interested in doing/seeing - and why is the MH too far??

Check Murph's Guide for pub information.

Poppa

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: accommodation near a good pub

Poppa, I think the idea is that if one plans on being regularly intoxicated, one may want to be able to stagger back to one's room without the need to use public transportation. While I would not choose a hotel based on its proximity to a certain bar, I suppose that reason is as good as any other.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,043 posts
3. Re: accommodation near a good pub

Ach so - the law enforcement analytical mind - alway 'on the job'.

Never thought of that, although I've been to Ireland 6 times and have encountered the national pastime first-hand!

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
192 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: accommodation near a good pub

I am in no way a NYC expert but I love McSorleys Old Ale House in the east village(15 E. 7th St.) The trip advisor review page gives lists of nearby hotels so I guess you could find a pub(s) and base your hotel search around that.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: accommodation near a good pub

What's your lodging budget?

When are you coming here?

There are, in fact, lots of good bars/pubs near the Milenium Hilton. Other hotels nearby in Tribeca are The Cosmopolitan and The Smyth.

Here's some recos, for example (although some of them have closed...)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2018730… Restaurants_bars_in_Tribeca-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1032776… -Millenium_Hilton_Location_to_see_NY-

Another good area for bar hopping is East Midtown, esp on 2nd and 3rd Avenues in the E. 30s. So, e.g., The Affinia Dumont or the Carlyle would be good choices.

For the younger set, the LES is full of bars, so you could stay at the Thompson, Hotel on Rivington or the Bowery Hotel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: accommodation near a good pub

Eh, there's plenty of spots to drink downtown, and the Hilton is easy walking distance from the pubs on Stone Street... but it IS still a bit much of a yuppie/banker crowd.

Judging from the choice of the word "partner" might you be a fellow Friend of Dorothy? In that case, I can only double-down my would be recommendation of staying in midtown west. Not only a ton of old bars and irish pubs nearby, but tons of gay bars too. No gay Irish pubs though...

I'll try to find out from my friend who works at the Times, but last time I hung out with them we went to an AWESOME old pub that just oozed character... tons of old books, taps, and furniture that might well have seen the buttocks of sports writers going back to the days of Babe Ruth...

England
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: accommodation near a good pub

Actually thats not a bad idea, start with the pub and find the nearest hotel. Exactly right on the staggering home bit, god only knows where I could end up on public transport. I do have a good excuse, remember it is my birthday!! By the way it's the 18th Sept so I've got to get my skates on. Also not gay just living in sin. Some of these ideas are great starting points many thanks everyone.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,04,919 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: accommodation near a good pub

maps.google.com

has a "search nearby" feature that will let you find hotels near any bar or pub you choose. Kennedy's is one Irish pub I know in midtown and it's not far from the Holiday Inn Midtown which is usually reasonably priced if not terribly exciting. The Salisbury is another hotel in that area.

I think the bar Nycdave is talking about is Jimmy's Corner.

nymag.com/urr/urr.pl…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: accommodation near a good pub

Actually, just got my friend's reply... the one we all went to was O'Flaherty's. 46th between 8th and 9th. After closing, they let those of us who were already there and wanted to, stay... and smoke, if we wanted. I guess after the doors are locked, and the place is no longer "public", and no one's on the clock, the rules are a bit different. Definitely adds to the authentic charisma.... as much as I used to hate coming home smelling like cigs whenever I went out, it was a nice throwback, for one night!

New York
Level Contributor
176 posts
10. Re: accommodation near a good pub

I would ckeck out Night Hotel, plenty of of pubs in walking distance.