We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waldorf Astoria New York Dress Code??

stoke on trent
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Waldorf Astoria New York Dress Code??

Hi just wondering if this is correct on the hotel web page:-

Dress Attire

T-shirts, tank tops, faded jeans, cut-offs, and casual hats are not permitted in the Main Lobby, Park Avenue Lobby, restaurants, or public areas of the hotel. While name badges may be worn by conference attendees in private conference rooms, we request that name badges be removed in the public areas of the hotel. Thank you for your cooperation

Any help is appreciated

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Waldorf Astoria New York Dress Code??

When I go to the Waldorf Astoria websiet, this is what I see:

"What is the dress code in the lobby and restaurant outlets?

We suggest to our guests to avoid T-shirts, tank tops, faded jeans, cut-offs, and casual hats in the Main Lobby, Park Avenue Lobby, restaurants, or public areas of the hotel. While name badges may be worn by conference attendees in private conference rooms, we request that name badges be removed in the public areas of the hotel.

Dress attire for Peacock Alley is elegant business

Dress attire for Bull and Bear is elegant casual.

Dress attire for Oscar's is casual.

Dress attire for Inagiku is smart casual.

Dress attire for Sir Harry's is smart casual.

Dress attire for Cocktail Terrace smart casual."

I find that very simple to understand.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Waldorf Astoria New York Dress Code??

I've seen the exact wording on the website to which you refer. However, upon going to the website now, I also see what GWB posted. The latter changes the wording to "suggests" which is less ominous, I guess. Nevertheless, I've stayed at the Waldorf in the past and I did see others with baseball caps, t-shirts, etc. in the lobby and they were not admonished or approached by the staff. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just as long as you look somewhat respectable, I don't think anyone will say anything. Yes, I know the "somewhat respectable" is very subjective, but I think most know what I mean.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Waldorf Astoria New York Dress Code??

dan, did you see people lounging in the lobbies in that kind of super-casual attire? My impression had been that people can at least traipse through in casual wear (unlike, e.g., the Athletic Club), but not "hang out".

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Waldorf Astoria New York Dress Code??

I don't recall tank tops or cut offs, but I remember seeing people in baseball caps, jeans, shorts, sandals, etc. sitting in the lounge chairs in the lobby. This was while I was waiting to check in and also when I was waiting to see a manager about something. I specifically recall this because I noticed the warning mentioned above before I went and I thought it was kind of odd. Personally, I don't think they'll make a big deal out of it, unless you were very inappropriately dressed or someone complained. I think most aren't even aware of the policies above.

West Tennessee
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Waldorf Astoria New York Dress Code??

Thanks for asking and answering this question. A friend and I are staying in the Waldorf next month with our two teenage sons and I was wondering about the dress code.

glasgow
Level Contributor
87 posts
84 reviews
6. Re: Waldorf Astoria New York Dress Code??

Just back from a 2-night stay there - fantastic - and the dress code was very relaxed - we had breakfast in the Towers, and no one batted an eyelid at the teenagers in cut-offs, flip-flops and t-shirts. Same in Sir Harry's bar - a range of dress codes within and all appeared acceptable. Staff at the Waldorf were absolutely brilliant, pleasant and attentive without being pretentious, and I think you'll be put very much at ease by their excellent customer service. Enjoy!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Waldorf Astoria New York Dress Code??

The hotel is just trying to cover the most outrageous offenders but if you are there on a hot summer day and coming in from walking around the city in any of the offensive clothing as long as you flash your room key on the way up to take a shower no one will bother you.

Just have fun and this should be the least of your problems during your stay.

West Tennessee
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Waldorf Astoria New York Dress Code??

Thnaks to all of you and the last two people who posted! Your information was a tremendous help!

9. Re: Waldorf Astoria New York Dress Code??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2009, 11:47