We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic from/to Newark (EWR)

Ontario
Level Contributor
52 posts
Traffic from/to Newark (EWR)

Trying to decide on the bus and train to west mid town from the airport.

The bus stop would drop is within walking distance to the hotel and would need to hop on the subway for a couple of stops if we took the train.

Looking at the schedules and the train takes 30 minutes and the bus 45 minutes.

The schedule arrival time of the flight is Tuesday morning @ 10:30 and the departure is 2:30pm on Friday afternoon. I was planning on getting the trans portion back to the airport around noon. We are leaving on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. I know where I am from the rush hour traffic starts early on a holiday weekend with everyone trying to get out of the city. Will the traffic be heavier on the Friday?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,04,931 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Traffic from/to Newark (EWR)

If you take the train I would taxi from Penn station to the hotel. Imo it's not worth schlepping the luggage in the subway to still have to walk. But I personally would take the bus and walk if it's a nice day and you can manage the luggage. If it's bad weather, I'd take the train with taxi.

Fri. departure is going to be a zoo and you need a lot more time to get there. I'd leave by 11:30 or noon at the latest. Don't you have to be at the airport 2 hrs. before an int'l flight? I'd take the train to go back.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
12,698 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Traffic from/to Newark (EWR)

I would take the train. The New Jersey Turnpike can be verry backedup. New Jersey Transit runs extra trains on that friday. Here is the link.

www.njtransit.com

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
3. Re: Traffic from/to Newark (EWR)

For me, the train really is the way to go. Traffic on the NJ Turnpike is bad enough but it is the nightmare of trying to get into and out of the Lincoln Tunnel that is enough to make me go out of my mind.

NJ Transit is fast, efficient, very reliable and the trains are comfortable.

As was previously stated, there are extra trains operating next Friday. Friday May 22nd (I should say, Friday of the Memorial Day Weekend) is the unofficial start to summer in the U.S. Everybody, and I do mean everybody, that has a friend, a brother, a cousin, a Sorrority sister, co-worker, friend of a friend from a prior life with a house or a share at the Jersey Shore will be going to the beach. In fact, people who don't know anybody and don't have anywhere to stay will be going down to the Jersey Shore.

In my opinion, the Friday of Memorial Day is the worst because everybody has the pent up desire to get summer started. Come July and August, some people go to non-beach destinations or stay in town for a party on Friday night and go to the beach on Saturday. Next weekend, by Noon on Friday, the roads will be a parking lot and NJ Transit will have everything with wheels rolling.

So, I vote for the train.

Ontario
Level Contributor
52 posts
4. Re: Traffic from/to Newark (EWR)

Thanks for the information

Airline recommends check in 90 minutes before flight time.

5. Re: Traffic from/to Newark (EWR)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 May 2009, 08:35
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
6. Re: Traffic from/to Newark (EWR)

I'm very leery of anything called cheaptaxi. Not everybody is allowed to pick up at Newark Airport. Newark Airport is under the jurisdiction of the Port Authority and my understanding is that cabs from other NJ communities and out of state are not allowed to simply pick up at Newark Airport. All the reputable companies like Dial 7, All State, etc., they're licensed to pick up at Newark.

By the time you get done with tolls and everything, I can't imagine you'll find anything for less than $55. - $60. inclusive (that is each way).

With all the traffic, just stick with the train and don't take any chances.

Friday will be a busy day at the airport and you'll definitely want to try to print your boarding pass in advance and get to the airport early. Have a great trip. Enjoy Fleet Week in New York.

Also, we're on a roll. Cold rainy weekends in May, beautiful sunny warm weekdays. Enjoy it.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
12,698 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Traffic from/to Newark (EWR)

Camix correct me if I'm wron but wouldn't the bus and taxi both be subject to the same traffic delays.

Ontario
Level Contributor
52 posts
8. Re: Traffic from/to Newark (EWR)

I was thinking the same thing that both buses and taxis would be stock in traffic on Friday PM. I was not concerned about the traffic on Tuesday. Will not be lugging that much luggage just carry on bags. Will Penn station be crowded as well on Friday?

9. Re: Traffic from/to Newark (EWR)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2009, 20:55
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
10. Re: Traffic from/to Newark (EWR)

Train.

In this case, with traffic, it's best.

Just take a taxi from the hotel to Penn Sta. rather than the subway. (As long a there's not crazy traffic within NY). Better a few extra dollars on a taxi than schlepping with the luggage, subway, etc. and stressing out....

And, don't forget, the same way people are pent up, wanting to get out of NYC, some will be pent up at EWR wanting to get fly out of NYC!

EWR can be dicey. Sometimes there are very short security lines and sometimes there are very long security lines.

Really, to be on the safe side, I'd leave early, Better to be at the airport with wasted time than to be on the road stressing out...

In other words, esp. because of this weird "lemme outta here" vibe over Memorial Day, just do whatever to avoid stressing!