We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Apple Greeter: local NY City phone number??

Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Big Apple Greeter: local NY City phone number??

Hi, can someone give me advice about booking a BAG? I want to book for September and will be coming from Australia for 2 weeks. However, the form requires that I give a local NY phone contact number (not a cell) with voicemail. I am staying in 2 separate hotels during my stay and don't know anyone in NY. Does this mean we must give the numbers of the hotels and is this appropriate? I'm not sure the hotels are able to take messages for me. Could someone clarify or let me know how they dealt with this issue? I'm happy to pass on the hotel phone numbers if that is the norm. thanks.

Ontario
Level Contributor
52 posts
1. Re: Big Apple Greeter: local NY City phone number??

Once registered in the the hotel they would direct the call to the phone in your room. Most phones would have voice mail if you are not in the room at hthe time of the call.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
738 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Big Apple Greeter: local NY City phone number??

When we arrived at our hotel (last Feb) the greeters had left a message - unfortunately I didn't get a greeter that time, but I did get the message. Hoping for one in just over 4 weeks time.

pep

england
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Big Apple Greeter: local NY City phone number??

When we booked our BAG I gave them my home number and the hotel number. They called me at home a week before we left for NY and left details on our voicemail. When we got to the hotel there was a letter at the hotel too with the BAG details and a contact number. Very well organised set up and we would recommend a BAG to anyone. They will only contact you about a week before you arrive so would think that it would be appropriate to give them your hotel number.

australia
Level Contributor
633 posts
48 reviews
4. Re: Big Apple Greeter: local NY City phone number??

yep, we put on our request form the number of the first hotel we would be staying at (we were staying at 4 different places during the three weeks) and had requested the greeter during the first week of our trip. We actually recieved an email about two weeks before our trip that a greeter had been allocated and then when we got to the hotel there was also a voicemail message and a letter confirming the appointment.

hope you get one, it was so fantastic, our greeter Jack was awesome!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,681 posts
168 reviews
5. Re: Big Apple Greeter: local NY City phone number??

Hi Haymont, how long before you left home did you put in a request for a BAG? We're going to MYC in Sept too and I sent my request last week - keeping my fingers crossed as it should be awesome!!!

australia
Level Contributor
633 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: Big Apple Greeter: local NY City phone number??

Hi DougoOz,

we requested a greeter right at the start of January, then on the 30th i got the email acknowledging they had recieved my request through the website, our trip was on March 29th, and we heard ten days before we left Australia that our request had been granted for the second day of our stay in NYC....which actually turned out to be our first full day due to flight delays, lucky we didn't book it for the first day!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,681 posts
168 reviews
7. Re: Big Apple Greeter: local NY City phone number??

Thanks for that news. So maybe I'll have to wait a while for a reply - lol. Which area did you see and how long did you have with your BAG?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Big Apple Greeter: local NY City phone number??

HI, I'm a BAG and I thought I'd get you some info.

It is important to know the telephone numbers and addresses of where you are staying. The Organization tries very hard to make a connection between travelers and New Yorkers. To schedule a walk, we have to know where to reach you. You will be contacted by the BAG Organization whether you get a walk or not. But, if you do get a BAG, you will also need to be contacted by the individual greeter as well.

I use this connection to determine what you would like to do and see, where we should meet, and what your time parameters are. Without your telephone numbers [and your email address] this would not be possible.

Hope you get a greeter. Maybe me!

MEL

Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
9. Re: Big Apple Greeter: local NY City phone number??

Thank you BrooklynMel, I've been following your posts about BAGs and am glad you've responded. I think I've sorted it now and have booked a BAG for Sept, now just waiting. I gave my home contact in Australia and the number of the first hotel I am staying in for the first 8 days, East Village Bed and Coffee. There wasn't room for listing the two hotels so I hope that is ok. I look forward to it - a New Yorkers view of New York is what I want so fingers crossed.

thanks again.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Big Apple Greeter: local NY City phone number??

All of the information you need is on the Big Apple Greeter website - here is the link for the requirements for visitors:

…bigapplegreeter.org/hello/…application.php

As a greeter, I like to be in contact with the visitor whenever possible, to make sure we are all on the same page. This being said, sometimes you won't know until the last minute. If you think this may impact your decision to actually use the program, then don't request a greeter. I had this happen to me a few weeks ago, where I met the group and when I arrived they "changed their mind".Not only was it a waste of my time, but someone else lost out on getting a greeter. Many requests are denied due to lack of greeters, so please keep these things in mind.