We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Filming in NYC

Kansas City
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Filming in NYC

I was curious to see if there is some sort of website or resource available with a list of films/shows currently being filmed in the area? I thought it would be fun while we're in town to "observe". Any ideas?

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,246 Reviews
from US$ 89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$ 175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
552 Reviews
from US$ 34.00*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Filming in NYC

You can try using this--

onlocationvacations.com/category/…

--but a lot aren't on there and most productions don't encourage people standing around watching. That's not to say you shouldn't, just don't expect a warm welcome or a designated area or anything.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Filming in NYC

They were filming Ugly Betty in front of the Woolworth Building and in City Hall Park last week.

Sometimes NYC seems like one big film set. When they filmed War of the Worlds, my car was parked on Polhemus street in Park Slope and got towed. Guess Tom Cruise doesn't like Hondas. When they filmed Awakenings, I walked to the subway through an inch of fake snow on 7th Street. Coming home one day I saw a subway stop on Union Street, where I know that one does not exist - Law and Order street furniture.

You never know where filming for TV and Movies will pop up. What I want to know is whether it's OK to poach food from the catering table?

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Filming in NYC

If they towed my car - that would automatically make me eligible to 'poach' food - they probably throw away more than is eater - so in effect you are preventing a waste of good food by your noshing....sound good?

It does to me.

Poppa

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Filming in NYC

I'll tell em "Poppa Sent Me."

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Filming in NYC

We've been inundated with Sorcerer's Apprentice (Nichlos Cage) filming this week. First there were "freak accidents" duing the filming last week, then a building collapse on W 14th St where they filmed night shots all over the area, then last night I saw the area around Rockefeller Center all lit up.

Local comment: For awhile most of us were fascinated with the filming all over town, maybe even a chance to see a "star" if we weren't cynical. But I wonder if things have changed - for the Sorcerer's Apprentice, street parking for many streets around and including 14th St. was banned for 4 or 5 days, streets have been closed off, traffic diverted with traffice tie-ups for blocks around, film crew preventing people from walking in the neighborbood, bright lights and huge equipment all around, and many police around to direct traffic,etc. At I am sure a high cost to citizens. (I wonder why film crews don't supply their own "police" to direct traffic).

Now it is controversial about whether filming is a blessing or a curse..

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Filming in NYC

Sounds like a curse if you live in the 'hood!!!

Last year on arrival at Grand Central Terminal from New Haven - we were shuffled to an exit not of our choice due to filming in the Grand Concourse and there was no alternative - seemed like more police than really needed - sort of felt like cattle - good thing I wasn't going to meet anyone 'under the clocl'.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Filming in NYC

When Mr. & Mrs. Smith blew up the building Angelina Jolie worked in, I laughed and laughed. My wife asked what was wrong, and I told her the building they blew up was my favorite skyscraper in New York!

She currently is working on a film called Salt, which was shooting in Midtown East a month ago. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944835/

Nicholas Cage is bopping around midtown with Buena Vista trucks (a Disney company) possibly recreating Mickey Mouse's role as the sloppy student in The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0963966/

Alfred Molina is in it too. You may remember him running that science lab on a pier off the West Side Highway in Spiderman 2.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Filming in NYC

As many people in the Forum know, I live in Park Slope. This neighborhood has an amazing lack of parking. People call it "No place to Park Slope." Whenever they film, which is often, the production takes up numerous spots and tows numerous cars to other locations hither and yon. I love visiting the Navy Yard tow pound.

Yes, what started out as exciting has somewhat lost much neighborhood support. While it's good for the local economy, and while my daugher loves that they filmed Ugly Betty up the block, the crews essentially treat us all as annoyances. There is little support for the block.

About a month ago, they were filming on Carroll Street, my block. I had a lousy day and was finally returning home. As I came to my block, I was informed that I could not pass, as they were shooting. I gave the gentleman a hearty NY "screw you", told him that it's my block and that I live here, and went right by.

In my humble opinion, if they want to film on my block, interrupt my schedule and take away my parking spaces, the least that they could do is to make a contribution to the Carroll Street block fund.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,688 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Filming in NYC

Mel wrote:

<<When they filmed War of the Worlds, my car was parked on Polhemus street in Park Slope and got towed.>>

Did you have to pay to get your car back??? If so, that’s just wrong!

TourguideStan wrote:

<<She currently is working on a film called Salt, which was shooting in Midtown East a month ago>>

Okay, now I’m being nosy, but what does your wife do???

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Filming in NYC

The car was towed to the next open space, which happened to be a bus stop. From there, the city took it to the Navy Yard tow pound. We were reimbursed by the film for the car, but still had the hassle of bailing it out, and scraping off the yellow grease pencil from the window.

I never even saw the damn movie.