We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Longer stay alone - hotel?

SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Longer stay alone - hotel?

Originally I was going to be in NY for 3 days. I have an opportunity to stay 2 more nights and days, alone. So that will be the original dates of June 1 - 3, with friends from England, and 4 - 5 on my own!

Keeping in mind all I need is clean, safe, restaurants in walking distance, private bath and economical.....how is Hotel 31? What I have read here it seems ideal but wanted an "expert" opinion. Was quoted a price of $130 per night including taxes, etc.

As always, thank you all!

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,245 Reviews
from US$ 89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$ 175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
551 Reviews
from US$ 34.00*
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Longer stay alone - hotel?

Hi

Did you see this travel zoo special? The reviews for hotel 31 are ok... but not my cup of tea.

hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/582417

SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Longer stay alone - hotel?

Thanks! I did not see that, I will check this one out.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Longer stay alone - hotel?

The Park Savoy (parksavoyhotel.com) frequently has a room with double bed/private bath for $98 plus taxes. Queen bed room is $133 plus taxes. This is a budget hotel in a stellar midtown location one block South of Central Park on W. 58th St. Rooms are compact, but clean and comfortable.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,04,019 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Longer stay alone - hotel?

It's "ok" but you can probably get something much nicer by bidding on Priceline. People have already won 3.5-4* hotels for less than that (if you look at the win calendar on betterbidding.com)

If Priceline worries you (and it shouldn't)easyclicktravel.com has the Excelsior (across from the Mus. of Natural History on the upper west side) for $122/night plus tax. MILES nicer and nicer location. You can get a room with private bath at the Pod hotel for less than that on the same website.

Level Contributor
168 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Longer stay alone - hotel?

When I check rates for Park Savoy, 5 nights beginning 6/29, it quotes a rate of 241.43 for a twin room. I"m wondering if there is a reason for such low rates. I have the Park 79 booked for $514 and thought that was a great deal. Would anyone familiar with the locations, know if the Park Savoy would be an OK choice over Park 79?

Level Contributor
168 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Longer stay alone - hotel?

When I check rates for Park Savoy, 5 nights beginning 6/29, it quotes a rate of 241.43 for a twin room. I"m wondering if there is a reason for such low rates. I have the Park 79 booked for $514 and thought that was a great deal. Would anyone familiar with the locations, know if the Park Savoy would be an OK choice over Park 79?

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Longer stay alone - hotel?

The Park Savoy isn't posting rates for July yet. It's an unusual and strange policy. I think that you`re seeing the rates just for the first 2 nights only. Perhaps a call or an email to the hotel would be helpful.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,04,019 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Longer stay alone - hotel?

It looks like an error to me. What concerns me is it says 4 nights but only shows 2 (Mon/Tues). I'd either email them or take your chances and see if they'd honor the reservation. What would be a problem is if they only have the room for 2 nights.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Longer stay alone - hotel?

If you look closely, you'll see that only the rate for the first 2 nights (@$98) is shown. There is no rate posted under the last 3 nights. As I said, they aren`t taking reservations for July yet.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Longer stay alone - hotel?

try QUIKBOOK. At least you will know before you commit to payment which hotel (and most hotels are cancellable based on hotel's cancellation policy.)