We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrival day

Ontario
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Arrival day

We arrive at EWR @ 10:30 AM If plane is not delayed expect to be at our hotel(Comfort Inn Midtown) around noon. We have tickets for Shrek that evening. Looking at activity for the afternoon. Would we be able to both TOTR and the Staten Island ferry or just pick one. Is there a view of the Brooklyn bridge from the ferry? Also thinking of doing one of the loops of the HO/HO tours as a different option.

Mentioned in this post
Staten Island Ferry
Staten Island Ferry
19,164 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
17,921 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrival day

Yes, you could definitely do the Staten Island Ferry -- and more (but not a HOHO loop) -- before proceeding to TOTR; the ferry ride is just about 1 hour roundtrip; it leaves every 30 minutes, on the hour and the 1/2 hour, at that time of day.

Mentioned in this post
Staten Island Ferry
Staten Island Ferry
19,164 Reviews
New York City, NY
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
970 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrival day

Why did you pick the Comfort Inn hotel to stay at?I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Have you seen the street it is on?please find a better hotel. I saw the hotel on google maps and it looks very old and run down.At night that street is very dark and not much traffic.

Mentioned in this post
The Comfort Diner
The Comfort Diner
805 Reviews
New York City, NY
Thornton, Colorado
Level Contributor
422 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrival day

I have stayed at both the Midtown Comfort Inn's, and while they are solid 2 star hotels, they were both just fine. Older, heavy construction, and low noise levels.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
970 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrival day

The noise level is quite high early in the morning due to trash trucks. The comfort inn midtown looks like a run down old brownstone. Nothing like the pictures on the web site for this hotel.This is not the first impression i would want a first time turist to see of New york.I have nothing to gain by telling you this. I too had booked this hotel untill i saw it and had a heart attack about the way it looked and the area.For a few more dollars you can get a nicer place. You can try priceline they have great nice cheap hotels. I think you deserve better. I think NYWIZ would agree with me on this one.

Mentioned in this post
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,906 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arrival day

Irisblue--I am trying to understand your motivation. You have NOT stayed at the hotel and you are arguing with someone who has.(IN) The OP doesn't state when they arrive (date wise) but your persistence is only going to serve to make them uncomfortable with their choice. At this stage--leave them alone. BTW if you look at the onsight reviews 9 out of the most recent 10 are all positve.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arrival day

Comfort Inn ranks 22 second out of 412 on this site. I'd say that's pretty good....

No traffic means less noise and I understand trash trucks cruise the whole city.

Well, I hope they do ^^

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arrival day

LOL

and there's a guy wearing 'capris' in the street view of the address ^^

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,03,262 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arrival day

First, on the hotel, I think the Comfort Inn Midtown doesn't look great from the outside but it's perfectly fine for a good budget hotel on the inside. It's had an update recently and is in a very central location. I think it's good that your expectations be tempered. When reading reviews that say "fabulous" etc. it's easy to have high expectations. The place is clean, well managed, central and good value for money. This is one where you shouldn't judge the book by it's cover. ;)

As for activities, I'm wondering if there are any kids in your party given the choice of show. If there are, I don't think you should overplan your day since I'm assuming you will have gotten up quite early to arrive that early in NYC. In fact, a nap might not be a bad idea at some point. So who's traveling Mike?

Mentioned in this post
The Comfort Diner
The Comfort Diner
805 Reviews
New York City, NY
Thornton, Colorado
Level Contributor
422 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arrival day

Anyone who has read online hotel reviews should be aware that everyones opinion can be very different. I have seen the word "disgusting" used. When I subsequently stayed in them the word "meticulous" was more in order. I have seen reviews of the Waldorf Astoria that said the lobby was not as impressive as they thought it would be.

Some people must be jaded beyond belief about hotels. One thing I have learned in my travels is that the exterior of a building, as well as the beauty and/or elegance of the common areas, is not necessarily an indicator of the actual room. I have also seen the lines blurred many times regarding star ratings. I have stayed in 4 star hotels that were not as nice as some 2 star hotels. The bottom line is, TripAdvisor can give great guidance, but your results might vary. You pays your money, you takes your chances. Personally, though, I would never advise for or against a hotel in which I had never been a guest.

Mentioned in this post
Waldorf Astoria New York
Waldorf Astoria New York
11,572 Reviews
New York City, NY
Astoria
Astoria
Queens, NY
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
970 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Arrival day

I was just trying to help. If you can stay at a better hotel for a couple more dollars why not.I was not trying to scare them.I am just a person who would not consider staying in less then a three star hotel. But it is very hard to tell by ratings. The Grand Hyatt is not rated very high and it is a very nice hotel. My view is if you cannot stay at a nice hotel and have to watch every penny you spend then that is not a vacation.Maybe it is the way you are brought up. I don't know.Motavation? what is that i was just trying to help period.I will suggest a really nice tour it is the Royal tour of New York run by a guy named Steve. It is a five and a half hour tour. He takes you to places other tours do not go to. The groups are small. I think it is better then the HO/HO tours.The web site is marvelousmanhattantours.com

Mentioned in this post